1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limit imposed on horseshoe crab harvest
Friday, June 10, 2005
BY ALEXANDER LANE
Star-Ledger Staff
New Jersey environmental chief Bradley Campbell yesterday banned horseshoe crab harvesting on the Delaware Bay shore for the next two weeks, saying it would help protect migrating birds that feed on the crabs' eggs.

The Department of Environmental Protection said surveys had noted the arrival this week of more than 3,000 New World red knots -- a type of shorebird that stops to eat the crabs' eggs during its 10,000-mile migration from the southern tip of South America to the Arctic Circle.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1118381514145950.xml&coll=1

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I thought horseshoe crabs were endangered also. I didn't know you could harvest them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
WHEN I WAS YOUNG HORSESHOE CRABS WERE USED FOR FERTILIZER, THE CRABS WERE HARVESTED BY HAND, PICKED UP OFF THE DEL/ BAY BEACHES IN SOUTH JERSEY AND LOADED INTO WAGONS AND TRANSPORTED TO LOCAL FERTILIZER PLANTS. NOW THE CRABS ARE HARVESTED FOR EEL FIKES. ( TRAPS USED TO CATCH EELS) THE EELS ARE USED AS CRAB BAIT BY COMMERCIAL CRABBERS. EELS ARE PLACED IN BARRELS AND SALTED DOWN TO PRESERVE THEM. SOME BARRELS ARE SOLD TO OUT OF STATE CRABBERS. THE CRABS ARE ALSO HARVESTED FOR PHARMACEUTICAL PURPOSES . BLOOD IS REMOVED FROM THE HORSESHOE CRAB
( IMAGING DYE AND OTHER USES ) THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES ARE NOW PRACTICING CATCH AND RELEASE. H-CRABS ARE COLLECTED AND SOME BLOOD IS REMOVED FROM THEM THEN THEY ARE PLACED IN HOLDING TANKS TO RECOVER AND THEN RELEASED.{{ MY OWN OPINION - NONE OF THE ABOVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE DECLINE IN #S. }} BEACH REPLENISHMENT/POLLUTION/ AND ALLOWING THE BIRDS TO EAT ALL THE EGGS THEY CAN/NO EGGS NO NEW HORSESHOE CRABS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts