New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes hunt with a 22 year old.

He received 2 violations last year one during the summer the other during 5 day.

One was driving on a powerline. Camera took a picture.
The other violation was having a birdshot shell in his pocket during shotgun.

He new not to drive on the road on the power line and was wrong.

He was given the shells by an old guy that did not use them and did not know it was there.

He told the truth. was polite and cooperated both times and paid fines.

He went before a tribunal of CO'S for the violations.

HIS LICENSE TO HUNT AND FISH IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WAS REVOKED FOR 3 YEARS.

HIS APPEAL WAS DENIED.

What is going on??

I know the kid. He was told to lie about the shell and say he picked it up in the woods during the "trial". He is too honest and told the truth thinking being honest is always the best policy.

Can someone tell me why this happened?

True story.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice would be appreciated. 3 years loss in NJ and all other 48 states (reciprocal states) just seems to be crazy. If you drink and drive and put peoples' lives in jeopardy you can drive a car 6 months later.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I have lost my license for 2 years, one violation was really not my fault and the other was. But I actually wrote to the board of fish and game an was granted to sit infront of the fish and game council and told them what happened, they agreed to drop one of the charges which was trespassing, but I had to watch a 2 hour long movie on hunting safety, took a test of the movie and also had to write an essay on hunting safety and ways to improve safety violations. It was a pain in the ass to get my license reinstated but I did it ajd don't regret it. The whole process of getting them to grant me a sitting with them, dropping one charge and doing the whole safety movie/test/ essay was a full year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The young man drove his car down the powerline 100 yards where I showed him to park in the past. Which was fine.

But there was a No vehicles beyond this point" sign that was freshly put up.

He admittedly saw the sign and a remote NJDEP camera took a picture of his license plate twice. Or a homeowner?

I guess he was charged with driving past a no vehicles beyond this point sign twice which is a WMA violation.
He has a car and was not 4-wheeling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The same year he had a shell of birdshot on him while deer hunting.

Paid the fines which hurt.
But 3 years no hunting in the good ol' USA unnecessary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a big deal for a casual hunter but this kid had the bug and is a good kid.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Evidently he got convicted of three violations in a five year period because that triggers a three year revocation and there is no appeal for that. You loose your privileges to take or possess wildlife in NJ for two years if you are convicted twice in a five year period except for two trespassing violations, 5 years revocation or two WMA violations which carry a ten year revocation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tuny is right, but fish and game convicted him all three offenses at the same time, twice for driving on powerline and once for the birdshot shell in pocket. all offenses within a month, no warnings no leniency.
nothin'

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a wakeup call for me to be sure.

If you come out of the woods past dark, parked in the wrong spot by accident, unload your gun at the truck and you license is in your pocket because it was pulled off by briars.
You lose hunting in USA for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
For convictions to count the summons has to be issued at separated times. You can get ten tickets at once but it only counts for one conviction. PM me with details if you wish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts