New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I worked today. I probably won't get out until next week sometime.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i didn't go out. i threw my wife a surprise 30th bday party. it's 12:50 am and still going. tomorrow i'll be going out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Believe it or not I caught a 22" trout below the falls in Garfield on Johnson silver minnow tipped with a curlytail on opening day. Didn't expect to catch a trout down there.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i just got back. went to the musky on rt57 across the street from Magnum 57 truck sales. me and my buddy caught nothing. water is to high and fast. so we drove back to glen gardner and fished spruce run creek. we fished it for about 1.5 hours. he got 3 and i caught 4 and lost about 4 or 5. nothing of great size. just norml stockies.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I'm still working.[mad][mad][mad]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I limited out Saturday on Brookies and Rainbows - Really had to work for them though, as I fished any area of a creek where most lazy people won't wade/walk to. Also, cought and released about 15 other fish including Rainbows that measured 4 - 5" long - possibly natives or maybe just hatchery foul up ?!?!?!?!

Didn't take any pics, though - nothing on my stringer to brag about, but I'm gonna take some pictures of those little Rainbows - really spectacular coloring on this little scrappers.

Funny thing that all but two of my fish were lip hooked. These fish weren't swallowing the #14 hooks and night crawler "heads" (I only use the part of the wornm from the collar to the tip of the head, only - I save the rest of the body for in case I am desparate and run out of crawler heads) like they usually do.

I lost a nice sized Rainbow - Approx. 18 -20" - That's what I get for trying to fish off of a high bank instead of climbing down to the rocky shoreline - Just as I was cranking and pumping the fish up into the rocks in the shallow water she arched her back and spit/flipped the hook. I'll get her next week, as this part of this particular creek is rarely fished. After fishing 40 of my 41 1/2 years of life, you would think that I would know better than to do what I did, but first day excitement got the best of me - It's still a great feeling anticipating that opening day adrenaline rush that I get, even after all these years of fihing and thousands of fish caught!!!

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
limited out Saturday on Brookies and Rainbows - Really had to work for them though, as I fished any area of a creek where most lazy people won't wade/walk to. Also, cought and released about 15 other fish including Rainbows that measured 4 - 5" long - possibly natives or maybe just hatchery foul up ?!?!?!?!
Sounds like the Wallkill to me.:D

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I opted to take my litle guy out to the local pond so we could trout fish together. We packed up a wagon with chairs, snacks, and few toys. While the HULK and THING were smacking each other off the wagon Lil Joes' spider man pole starts bouncing. I grab it quick and set hook. He reeled in a nice 10 inch brookie. Made his day. Thankfully I got one too so I did not have hear "And Dad caught noting".

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
AWESOME JJoe!!!! [up] Just awesome pic. Look at that smile. you da'man. i can't wait to take my oldest girl fishing this year. she caught her fish last year at Oxford Furnace Lake. She caught 3 sunnies and she will tell you that if you ask her how many fish she caught...:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Cool JJoe, glad you guys had a good time. I was fishing near a guy and his young son Saturday morning. The dad hooked a fish and handed his rod off to the kid... unfortunately, he lost it. I think the dad was more bummed than the kid.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
hey Joe great pic and the little guy looks proud as a peacock.Thats great.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
JJoe - That's a great picture of Lil' Joe - That pic says it all!!!

Even though YOU can't really get much fishing time in yourself when you take a youngin' out fishin', especially for the first time, the enjoyment you experience watching the little ones get excited and pull in their first fish or their first fish of the season is absolutely priceless!!! Great job !!!! [up]

Funny thing, I still get that way at 41 years old!!!;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts