New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, while running the trapline, I spotted a mink headed my way along the stream bank. He avoided one of the snares by takeing an easier route into the water before getting to the bank that the snare was set on. (lesson learned)
He exited the water on the swallow bank after passing the set location, Shook the water off(like a dog would) and continued along the shallow bank till he was forced back into the stream by a large boulder. He swam with the strong current (on top) till the stream widened and the current slowed, then him dove down and worked the 'bottom edge' till a submerged log forced him to the top. He then exited the water at a low piont of the bank (again)and headed right for the snare that I was standing near. About 20 feet from the snare, he spotted me and dove back into the water, never to be seen again.....Well atleast till he makes his rounds again.[hihi]

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a snare waiting for him at one of the exit pionts and a conibear along the 'bottom edge'. I also suspect he could encounter the same snare he was headed to before spotting me.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
There is a snare waiting for him at one of the exit pionts and a conibear along the 'bottom edge'. I also suspect he could encounter the same snare he was headed to before spotting me.
Awesome, I knew you had a plan. You're obviously a thinker and I suspect that plays a part of your success. Go get em gg[up]

·
Registered
678 Posts
i see mink along the ramapo river while fishing quite often,not a trapper,just curious,what are the prices for pelts these days.i use to trap muskrats as a kid,50years ago,at that time the price was 90cents to 1.25 per skin.

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
just curious,what are the prices for pelts these days.i use to trap muskrats as a kid,50years ago,at that time the price was 90cents to 1.25 per skin.

Fur Harvesters Auction, Inc. January 7, 2012 fur sale averages:

Beaver – $7.03-33.85 (most $18.42-33.85)

Mink – $20.87

Otter – $82.15

Muskrat – $8.72

Fisher – $38.00-$57.47

Raccoon – $13.31-$18.89

Red Fox – $26.64-53.43

Grey Fox – $24.32

Skunk – $2.51

Coyote – $63.30-$68.77

Wolverine – $222.35

Wolf – $125.31-$403.94

Weasel – $3.56