New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at some members pics, and was thinking how the bucks are still in velvet, with less than 3 weeks till opening day. Shouldnt we see most of the deer with some of their velvet off already?

And less than three weeks, im pretty much set besides reading the instructions on the new therma cell i got.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Many bucks are starting to get white tips yet some still have balled up tines which implies that if you want to shoot a velvet buck this is the year to do it. The reality is that the vast majority of bucks lose their velvet by the first week of september. I'm still seeing deer that have room for growth yet and are a long way from shedding at least 2 to 3 weeks. It also only takes 24 hours for the deer to shed his velvet. The velvet is very rich in nutrients and the deer usually eat it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I have always found that most bucks in New Jersey will shed their velvet between Sept. 10 to the 15th. If you want to take one in velvet you best chnace will be on the opener or within two or three days of it. A velvet buck makes a nice trophy and it a great addition to anyones trophy wall. Good luck to all![up][up][up]:D

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
cant wait for opening day, i need to get something for mosquitos besides spray. where i hunt is infested with them.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kywesk, iv got the therma cell im going to be trying out soon. alot of other members said they work great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah I will be waiting till oct 3rd to get out there..with my first child due sept 27th giving the wife all the support she needs is putting bow hunting on the back burner for a bit...save some deer for me..i didn't get one last year..so maybe this year will be better..good luck ladies and gents!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts