New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt on a zone 16 wma. I would like you to know the effects of the unlimmted deer seasons. When I hunted this area in 2002 on the first day of six-day firearm season I counted 84 deer. Then in 2003 six-day firearm I counted 4 deer. Then in 2004 six-firearm season I counted 0 deer on the first day; I hunt all the open deer seasons. We cannot go on hunting like this. The problem with the deer population exist mostly on private land and small developed areas. We as sportsmen and women also, cannot have unlimited-deer seasons on wma's where hunters like myself are pretty much stuck hunting on.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I would like you to know the effects of the unlimmted deer seasons
First off you are putting the blame all on unlimited doe season, but what your not saying is how shooting button bucks and any buck under 8 points is also killing the heards. To have the best of all worlds, We should have 1 buck to 1 doe. This will give us bigger bucks and older deer, With all the new housing going up all over it will help the deer.

The problem with the deer population exist mostly on private land and small developed areas. We as sportsmen and women also, cannot have unlimited-deer seasons on wma's where hunters like myself are pretty much stuck hunting on.
You can still hunt wma's just move to the property lines and see how the deer move, I will bet that deer still cut-across it. I have 13acres I hunt mosly on and I can hunt on 300 acres too, But I also hunt on state property too and I hunt near the property lines.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
New Jersey is just way to over populated i go hunting in ill every year and its amazing how differant it is them guys out west dont shoot everything that moves even on public land.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Agree 100%. The state is whacking all the deer on the "huntable" lands but not really solving the issue of overpopulation in the burbs and exurbs. I have hunted twice in ILL and it seems that most people are fairly selective on deer as one can onlt shoot 2 bucks per entire season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts