New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday May 13, 2009
Up at 3:00- arrived at 4:30. I roosted some birds on Monday, so I returned to the spot. At 5:00 I blew an owl call and a bird answered from directly below me about 60yds. I set up east of him. I called once and he answered. He gobbled hot- several times a minute. At about 5:45 another bird answered him to the left of the him, again under 100yds.
At about 6:10 I didn’t hear any more gobbling, so I figured the birds were on the ground. I called and 2 gobbles thundered back from right below me about 60yds. The birds had met up on the side of the hill, and I thought/hoped they would come up the hill to me. All of a sudden I heard a coyote or fox yip and then silence.
About an hour later I heard some gobbling far off and to the east. I set back up west of the location I was at at daybreak at 10:30, & heard sporadic gobbling off in the distance.

I went back at night to roost some birds. At about 7:50 I thought I heard a gobbler far off. I started to walk towards the spot where the birds had been roosted and four guys on mountain bikes came by out of the east. I figured they had busted up the flock.

Thursday May 14, 2009 Sporadic showers predicted.
Up at 3:00, arrived at 4:55. As I was leaving the parking lot at about 5:10 another truck pulled in. I was walking slowly towards my spot when I met up with the 2 guys. I was a little bummed because I wanted to hunt the spot they were going to and plus I now had competition.
At 5:30 I heard one of the guys running a box call. They were about 80yds away, and below me. When he called, a tom answered him from the hillside directly in front of him. He called every few minutes, and each time he called the tom boomed back. I now realized that I would have to outcall him.
I started to call at 5:45. When I tree yelped- the tom answered. At 5:55 I called again, and another tom thundered back off to my left. He gobbled again. I called again. At 5:56 I called and he answered again, as did the other tom. I did another series at 6:00- no response. I heard the other guy call again no response. I was looking out in front of me, when I heard rustling in the leaves off to the west. I was about 30yds below a small knob and couldn’t see anything. I knew that it wasn’t a deer because otherwise I would have seen it. I called, and all of a sudden I saw a blue head materialize over the hill. All I could see was the head, but I knew it was a hen. I softly yelped, and was answered by a cluck. I clucked in return, and then I saw a red and white head periscoping over the knob. I waited, then 2 more toms, and 2 more. I didn’t know if they were jakes, or long-beards, so I clucked. 1 went into a half strut. I had my target, and he was 35yds away. I lowered my cheek to the stock, beaded him up and the Mossberg spoke. He toppled over. Birds flew off everywhere. He was flopping, and I waited about a minute before going to retrieve him. When I stood up, there were 3 other toms looking at him, they putted off. All told there were 9 toms and 6 hens. The birds never gobbled on the way in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
22lbs,10" beard, 1 1/4" hooks

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Congrat[up]s:D It's almost funny listening to guys call. Same call over and over. Glad it worked out for you. I had a similar event A week:D

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Congrats on a slammer bird...I'm sure the other guys were not happy[hihi]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts