New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a groundhog "problem" around my area. I have permission from the land owners to shoot them on site, but am unsure of the legality of shooting them.

Is/what is the season for them? Or can they be S-O-S?

What are the restrictions of weapons? I would love to use my highpower airguns (more powerful than a .22lr).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
ground hog season is open. you can take them with a bow or shotgun OR if you have a rifle permit you can take them with a rifle. i think it can be 270 cal or less shooting 100 grain bullets or less.

let me know if you need a hand and i'll gladly help you reduce the population:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that just saved my ass. I don't want to debate the power/use of airguns at the moment, but I do think the law should be changed since airguns are classified as firearms.

What about the laws concerning the taking of groundhogs? I remember I can't use any CF over .30 using 150gr+ JHP, or RN.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Tell me where and I will come and kill them[up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
2009 New Jersey Hunter ground grizzly-a-thon
i wish we had a spot to do it. i usually get them at my club but the fields are too high. the farmers can't cut them because of all this rain[mad]

i would be up there now if it wasn't for all this rain[wallmad]

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I just did some work for a guy that wants me to kill his chucks. Only problem is it's all the way in Howell! Maybe while I'm down at my in-laws during the week.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys gotta lay off the [smoke]. My turf!

My buddy also has a dairy farm... Gonna be fun this summer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vincentown. I think... haven't actually been there yet. I know he has all kinds of critters too. Deer, squirrel, doves, turkey, rabbit, groundhogs. Apparently you can sit around and pop critters all day if you really wanted to.

Myself, I am an airgunner. I love the proverbial smell of compressed air (hey, cordite is good too!). With a good airgun you can reach out to 125 yards using a smallbore. Too bad in NJ it is illegal (or undetermined) at the moment to use bigbore airguns for deer. Or air shotguns for waterfowl/turkey. Now please don't think that airgun means Red Ryder, or for gun-banning idiots that .22CB is the same as .700 Nitro Express. If you have any legitimate questions about hunting airguns PM me, or shoot over an email.

·
Registered
535 Posts
center fire rifles under .25 cal hollow point or expanded lead core bullets of any weight. over .25 cal hollow points or soft lead under 100 grains. rim rife under.25 cal only. must have valid hunting licence plus valid rifle permit. Need a hand? Im not far from v-town. love to shoot varmits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts