New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2005/trkprm_otc-spr05.htm

The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection's Division of Fish and Wildlife will offer leftover wild turkey hunting permits at selected Division offices throughout the state beginning Saturday, April 2, 2005. This special over-the-counter sale will enable hunters who did not apply for a permit, were not selected in the lottery, or who wish to obtain an extra permit an opportunity to do so.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Im probably gonna get another one or two this year. Its a good excuse to get over there to Pequest for the shoot. They start selling the permits over the counter at pequest the same day as the shoot right? if so......[up] I will definitely try to be there.:)

By the way I chase the birds with a bow too.

Looking to get a zone 9? I think its 9? I forget. But they might be gone.

If they are, I will get a zone 1.

I also have my PA turkey tag, so I'll be out there sometime during the season.[up]

Good luck guys! Opening day of the spring trout stocking season is right around the corner too.

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fairly new to turkey hunting myself. But I think I have the essentials:

1. Camo cloths and camo/not shiny gun.
2. Sighting in my 12 gauge for the best spread using 4,5, or 6 turkey loads. Knowing my effective range.
3. Practice calling.
4. Patience.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Turkey hunting is easy guys![cool] (kinda):D

The calling is the most exciting part.

Nothing more exciting than hitting your hen call, and having a loud gobble resound back through the spring forest. [up]

Calling isnt hard, but you should know what your trying to "say" with your calls.

I will try to find the link to a site that has audio with explanations of what the call means. Its a great way to learn.

I always take the bow, whether or not I get to fill my tag or not, its always a blast!

If you havent done it, you have to try it. I like to compare it to elk hunting....not that Ive ever been elk hunting, but hear me out.:D

Step 1. You locate em.
Step 2. You hurry up to a good set up.
Step 3. You call to em, and they call back. (usually):D

Step 4. You draw back and either get busted, or get a beard-dragging birdzilla. (hopefully);):D

Where are most of you planning to go? And what segments are you looking to get.

Last year I had Zone 1 segment G.
This year I may see if I can get something closer to home, and A week. I was getting up at 3am to beat the other guys to my spots.:(

Best of luck to everyone!---Matt:)

·
11,226 Posts
Lets see I don't have the right clothes
I don't have the right shells
I have a gun!!!!
I don't have a call or know how to call
I do have patience
Guess I'll have to let drag do all the work and I'll sneak in for the shot!
[up] When we go'en????

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
:D

You can tag along with me if you want, but I cant guarantee any turkeys.:p

I'll even let you shoot em...............................

....with a video camera....sound good?:p:D

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I would love to get into turkey hunting too but right now I just dont have the time...guess I will just have to wait for next season. Im in the boat with JJ as well not having the right gear and all. Well there is some more stuff that I will have to look at next time im at the sport shop.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Drag or JJ I usally hunt 7 on the rockaway & Berkshire Vallwy wma's. If you guys ever want to hook up. I have killed lots of birds along that river

·
11,226 Posts
Help is good! If I get a permit I will hook up with anyone who wants to go! I will have the right equipment by the time we go! I may know a spot or two with some good size birds hanging around! Shhhhh...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts