New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to get started with a bow. I'm a student and on a meager budget so should I try and find some used gear to learn to shoot with and then save up for a big $$ purchase? I don't really know anyone who shoots a bow either, so how would I learn technique and stuff? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jim

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Jex, I may have a bow for you. There are quite a few archers on here, I sure you can find some help.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Jex, going cheap at first is ok, but dont skimp too much on quality and especially on the accessories. Good accessories can make or break a good shooting bow. (A good arrow rest and quality arrows, are probably most important)

First and foremost though, make sure you have a qualified pro-shop size you up. A bow NEEDS to fit you perfectly for you to shoot to your best ability. Many archers err on the long side, which leads to many problems down the road. Many also shoot too much draw weight, that causes more probelems. So make sure you get started out on the right foot, and you will become a better archer faster than if you just try to jump into the game with ill fitted equipment. Otherwise you may spend years trying to break bad habits.

If you are near Lk. Hopatcong, you could stop into East Link Bait & Tackle. I'd help set you up with the correct size draw length and weight. If you're not near here, heres a chart to help you get close to the correct draw length.

Standing with your arms outstreched to the sides, but not over extended, have someone measure from middle fingertip to middle fingertip.

wingspan measurement = draw length:

68" = 26.5" draw
69" = 27" draw
70" = 27.5" draw
71" = 28" draw
72" = 28.5" draw
...(so on, and so forth)

This is only a rough estimate, different bows, releases, anchors, etc, can change the perfect draw length for you. But it will get you close!

For proper draw wieght, pick a bow that you will be shooting at the lower or middle range of the peak weight. (comfortably). This allows you to increase as those muscles build from practice.

A good way to find your comfortable draw weight is to sit flat on the floor with legs outstreched, and try to draw the bow straight back without raising the bow, dropping your draw elbow, or popping vessels in your neck. Another way is to draw the bow back 10 times while keeping it pointed at a target. Once again, you should be able to draw it straight back without any of the elbow dropping, sky shooting, struggle! Dont get caught up in shooting a lot of weight to be macho. 55#'s will kill any animal in North America.

Another thing to do is shoot as many bows in your price range as you can. This helps you get a feel for what you like and what you dont like. Grips, axle to axle length, brace height, cam design, they all play a part in how a bow feels to YOU.

Again though, no matter what bow you choose, make sure it fits you perfectly. Good luck, and if you have any more questions, contact me at;

[email protected]

(Hey guys, is this another one of my 500+ worders?):p:D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I said I wasnt gonna harr [no swearing please] Matty anymore, but I just can't resist. He LOVES to help people, and I think he should have his own topic on here, that way everyone can go and see his posts! Or He should write a book, but by then we will all know his secrets. Maybe we can make up codes for him so that he doesnt have to post 1,000 word replies!!

·
11,226 Posts
Maybe we can make up codes for him so that he doesnt have to post 1,000 word replies!!
The Matty shorthand book!!!
He LOVES to help people, and I think he should have his own topic on here,
The "Ask Matty" section!!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Jex, as far as the bow and equipment, don't worry about not buying the "latest and greatest" out there. Get what you can afford. After all, just because you have a $700 bow, doesn't mean your gonna be a good shot with it. It's all about practice!
The equipment is only part of the equation.

There are many guys on this site that I'm sure would be willing to give you pointers on proper shooting technique. Let us know where your from.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Don't buy a bow merely because it's 'cheap'.
You have a good resource here.

A friend of mine had recently bought a bow off e-bay.
He was inexperienced but believed that since the bow (a Golden Eagle) fully equipped with all bells and whistles and arrows, was perfect for him.

I told him to discuss the bow with archers on various sites, including this one. He declined saying it looked good and should be ok for the price of $300.

I asked him to inquire about draw-length, weight, let-off etc..

Nope - he wanted this bow no questions asked.

In a week he receives his new bow. 30" draw length set at 75lbs!! This was discovered after I urged him to take it to a 'Pro'. The pro then informed him that this particular model was 'withdrawn from production' because of design flaws. The pro urged him to get his money back. He really needed a fit for 27" draw - and low poundage.

He can't get a refund. It was bought as-is.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
He LOVES to help people, and I think he should have his own topic on here, that way everyone can go and see his posts! Or He should write a book, but by then we will all know his secrets. Maybe we can make up codes for him so that he doesnt have to post 1,000 word replies!!
Aww shucks, my own topic area, or my very own book? Im blushing. :eek:

So Im guessing you got my email then. LOL....:D

How'd you like that idea for hunting that buck huh? Works like a charm, but thats one secret I tell to VERY FEW people! That one wont be in the book!;):D

By the way, I know Im long winded. IF you have a problem with that...Then ask yourself this. Whats the opposite of above me?

Yup its; Below me! Say it again, and this time from your knees, you'll get it.;):D

JK all!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I have alot to go through. I'm currently living down in Little Egg Harbor in Ocean County. I came down from Vernon at the end of August. I do get back up there once a month or so, so Matty I may take you up on your offer and stop in one day.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
My old stomping grounds, There is a shop on rt9 north between you and manihawken. It will be on your right side... Go there and have someone help you out and then go and find a good bow cheap. I got a old PSE for $200.00 and it did it's stuff on deer, I now hunt with a long bow.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
A&M in Lakewood

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mystic, you're talking about Tip's right? I've been in there looking for a shotgun for my girlfriend to hunt with. They seem pretty knowledgable, so I'll give them a shot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They weren't too bad on stuff, considering we're nowhere near a major hunting/fishing outlet. Where did you do your shopping when you were down this way?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Matty where did you learn all that info? Its amazing what some of you guys know. I try reading up on tuning a bow and info like you guys post and its like finding a ghost. Did someone teach you? Or just many years of messing around?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts