New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned that if you lock up your stuff on public property, sometimes even you can't take it! I put a cable lock around my deer cart near my stand to prevent would be thieves from taking it and it worked a little too well. I took a doe right before dark on Thursday, and it dropped dead like 40 yards from the cart. I figured I was in business and that this couldn't have worked out any better until I found out that the lock cylinder was frozen and the key wouldn't open it. Now, being the well prepared person I am, I even had a lighter in my pack for just such an emergency. Well, the wind was so gusty on top of the ridge where I was that the lighter wouldn't stay lit long enough to generate any real heat so I ended up having to drag the deer down the side of the mountain and then along a path all the way back to the parking area while my pristine cart lay there at the top of the mountain laughing at me. As an added kick to the nuts, the temp warmed up just enough over night that the locked worked fine the following morning. Next year I am going to spray it with some WD and maybe tie a plastic bag over it to keep the rain and snow out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next time heat the key with using any cover to shield against the wind.
I tried, but even using my coat as cover the wind was still putting out the flame after only a few seconds (it was gusting over 40. If I had no other option I could have been more resourceful, but it was dark and I was cold and tired and wanted to get out of there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm sure there was a 6 day hunter in the area with a pair of bolt cutters.
You might be surprised, but where we go there are very few people and you see the same ones every year and know a bunch by name. You have to fill out an application at the park office and the gates are closed the rest of the year so nobody else goes in there other than 6 day besides mountain bikers and joggers, etc.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I tried, but even using my coat as cover the wind was still putting out the flame after only a few seconds (it was gusting over 40. If I had no other option I could have been more resourceful, but it was dark and I was cold and tired and wanted to get out of there.
Not much into survival situations I see. Good thing you weren't hurt and had to spend the night. BSA always says "Be Prepared"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn't alone, there were 2 other people with me, but I was at the top of the ridge and they were at the bottom.. It wasn't that much of a dire situation. If my life depended on getting a lock unfrozen to use a cart, I am sure I could have done it. I wasn't that desperate and I was more annoyed than anything.
Guess I should have brought a blowtorch and a sherpa

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I wasn't alone, there were 2 other people with me, but I was at the top of the ridge and they were at the bottom.. It wasn't that much of a dire situation. If my life depended on getting a lock unfrozen to use a cart, I am sure I could have done it. I wasn't that desperate and I was more annoyed than anything.
Guess I should have brought a blowtorch and a sherpa
Three guys and couldn't get a lock off of the cart. That explains why you were hunting six day.

That was one hell of a hunting season. See you next year for six day.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have that trouble a lot on the locks for my camera lock boxes after a rain and it is cold. I carry a charcoal handwarmer and when held tight against a lock it thaws them in under a minute. The heat transfers to metal quickly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.