New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what a morning. Went to the private property I hunt for the first time since I rabbit hunted it in February. Well today taught me to do that.
I thought it would be a good day. Approaching the property I saw a 6 pointer chasing a doe down the middle of the road. Pulled onto the property and saw 3 does. However, something wasn't right. I know they had been doing perg testing, but I didn't think it would be like this. They had cut truck paths with bulldozers everywhere. Every thicket that a path or more. I didn't think it would be that bad by the spot I wanted to hunt. Well it appears the deer no longer use that trail. Then again, why would they. There was a wide truck path through the woods 15 yards up. So I set up there. As I was setting up a young deer got up 8 feet from where I was. So I sat in my tree stand for 3 hours. Nothing but squirrels and chipmunks.
I decided to go for a walk around 10 to scout. Walking near a cut through , I noticed the biggest coyote track I have ever seen. 20 yards further there he was. I figured I would take a shot. Hit a twig and missed. Oh well. Continued to the far end of the next field. Spotted 2 does at the other end. Decided to stalk them. Got on the other side of a hedgerow and walked quietly to the end. Got to another cut through and walked slowly through. Figured I would be about 20 yards. They spotted me and left.
Well anyway. I should have been scouting earlier. The deer also travel the property the same way. But since the property has been cleared, it changed the way they move. Wish I had known. Well any way, The lazy deer seem to be traveling these new clear cuts. I'll have to hunt it quite a few more times to be ready for shotgun and muzzleloader.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Been there done that my old property I had in Laffeyette was built on during the off season I never scouted it cause I have been hunting for 10 years and knew what was on it and where they traveled . Well opening day of Shotgun I go there and was greeted by 2 cops blocking the road off so construction vehicals could cut a road out. Well that kinda killed that morning. Over to state land I went.. :([down]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can still hunt. I just have to learn how the deer travel again.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sounds like you had fun Mike. Thats what its all about! [up]

You'll get that first bow deer too....No rush...it will just be that much sweeter![up]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Deer are lazy creatures, Stay on the clear cuts they will travle them. Through some corn down..Intice them to come down that trail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts