New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knew you hadda lead them that far! took me about 3 boxes of shells to find out you hadda lead them like 5-6 feet. once i found that out they had no chanse! i started out so frustrated that i had to shoot them on the ground the first few hunts.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's hard to tell someone how far to lead any game. A goose propells itself 6-8 feet with each flap of the wing. Also, it's easier to shoot them when there cupped and committed. Yes, 2 3/4 is fine for decoying geese. Don't be fooled by the guy who shoot bb and bigger shot. They don't hold a candle to the 3's and 4 shot. To many holes in the pattern. Looks good on paper but the paper doesn't move like bird. Some shot is 3 or 4 feet behind the first pellets and will miss the bird all together. the paper doen't show this. It's called shot string.

Till or trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tip wild work! ill be sure to use some smaller more efficient pellets next season.

and if that doesnt seem to work, we can always turn to #4.........................BUCK that is! hahaha
(it was a joke...dont go and do this guys)

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
OUTLAW THE STORE SAW YOU COMING WITH THAT $20.00 PRICE TAG ON THEM WE BOUGHT A CASE OF WHINCHESTER 31/2 STEEL FOR APPX $90.00.:D

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
CABELA'S WHINCHESTER HIGH-VELOCTY STEEL SHOT 10 BOXES PER CASE 31/2 89.99 A CASE OVER THE INTERNET.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can see the goose's feet well they are close enough for a shot. Otherwise you increase the risk of a cripple which may never be found or cause your dog never to want to get a goose again if that goose tries to peck him. Closer is better and I usually aim at the head while swinging the gun using 3.5 number 2 or BB. Usually 2 because there is not time to change shells. I have taken specks and snows with 3 inch number 6 in LA when they were landing at 10 yards. the tungsten etc is nice but if they are close you can save your money i think.
Semper fi,
dutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts