New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I'm a first season hunter so I was looking for some advice to save myself time and money. What do you guys use for your layers when going out in the colder months to bow hunt? I use a climber if that makes any difference. I have under armor and it doesn't seem to be doing much for me. I don't want to be too bulky either.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I hate under armor. I use military grade thermal, t shirt, then 2 light weight fleece shirts, then a heavy predator jacket on top. Warm as can be for me.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Under Armor sucks when you are on stand. ... You need heavy fleece as your first layer... It's fine for walking or running though....

Let me give you example of why I was borderline uncomfortable today but not by much... Sat from 5:45 am to 8:20 AM..
24 degrees, 10-15 mph MPH winds from the NW.

Not cozy weather by any means... Ok I was borderline brutal... I seen worse though but should have stayed in bed...

Kamik icebreaker boots - basic wool socks, feet were toasty warm entire time... I would be good with those to well below zero I think.. This is the one area I had completely nailed down no issue...

Base layer - Cabelas heavy fleece. Tops and bottoms..
Next layer - Scent blocker undergarment, no real insulation factor.. Tops and Bottoms...
Pants - Cabelas basic quilted pants, good for cold weather.... I wear these when it gets into the lower 20s... No issue they were fine..
A fairly heavy quilted down vest... Puffy and warm...
Cabelas quilted cold weather top... Like the pants, a basic quilted outfit. Nothing special, has some insulation factor

Neck - a heavy fleece "gator"... A HUGE MUST HAVE FOR COLD WEATHER
Head - a heavy fleece billed cap.. It sufficed, probably should have gone for the xtra heavy fluffy cap with ear muffs...
Hands - fairly heavy weight Mozzila gloves... I can't wear heavier than these and shoot a bow... I should have brought my hand muffler with some hand warmers because it was the hands that did me in eventually. 90% of the time , it's the hands but I got frostbite there too many times...

Summary:

I needed one more layer - a wool sweater and hand warmers with slightly warmer hat would have sealed the deal...

TIPS - Head, Feet, Hands, neck and keep your back and kidneys heavily insulated and you can stand a lot.... Once your hands, feet get cold though, you are screwed because it's nearly impossible to get that back unless it warms rapidly while you sitting there..

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
My key to staying warm in the coldest weather is wear bibs..... and bibs that are quiet, windproof and waterproof.

I use Browning Hydrofleece. They cover your backside and keep your body heat contained. They contain it so well, I have to carry it in and put it on at the stand or you'll sweat your ass off even on short walks.

Plus with bibs you can stick your hands in them and only need a light weight set of gloves which is best for bowhunting. I use the Under Armor gloves all year from September to January no matter what the temperature when wearing bibs.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
And the big thing is to practice with all that clothing on it's not like in sept. I can shoot 15yds in my basement just to stay loose and practice on my form with heavy clothing on. And yes got the string caught on my jacket and missed tha target completely and put two holes in the sheetrock.

Now i know i have to have my collar down to hit my anchor point.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i just use my issued thermals from the army and put my clothes over it haha I'm not cozy like sitting in front of a fire but its enough to put up with lol but I'm about the set up a permanent blind and put a propane heater in it hahah that'll be cozy

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you say under armour sucks. Now if your comparing their spandex cold gear to thermal fleece the yes their is no comparison. But I wear their leggings and top in cold gear and then wear the new tree stand fleece top and bottom. Then my outer wear. I can sit in any temp or weather NJ can dish out and be warm. Sat two nights ago in the rain and wind and cold and actually had to open my putter jacket bc I was to warm. Now I just wish they could make a pair of good reliable foot warmers and I would have zero to complain about.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I find that wearing a fleece or polypropolyne balaclava (one piece headgear that covers your head, face, and neck) makes big a difference. Also, I walk in to my stand with a light pair of socks. Once I'm set up, I remove the light weight socks and replace them with a heavy pair of wool socks and sometimes sock liners if it is super cold. I also carry a pair of Arctic Shield boot blankets that I can put over my hunting boots once I am on stand (you can also put a hand warmer between your hunting boots and boot blankets to keep your feet toasty warm).

·
Registered
84 Posts
This was/is a concern for me when I bowhunt when cold.I layer and use cabelas berber fleece with the windshear.Works great as far as keeping warm.Drawing the bow is another issue.Might be time to think about the crossbow for cold weather?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
One detail that is also important - if planning to wear bibs and a coat rig up a way to carry it attached to your climber for carry in. You want to leave the car feeling cold with one or two thin layer shirts. I put the middle layers in my pack. Bungie or tie the other layers onto the stand to back pack it in. At the stand I add layers except the coat, then put the safety harness on, and pull the coat up off the ground with the rest of my gear to put on after the stand is set.

Air activated Hand warmers and muff tubes work great with gloves that have fingers cut for best archery shooting. Hang the bow until you know the deer are about to show up.
1000 gram thinsulate boots work for my feet plus a liner sock and a heavy wool sock.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. I have some shopping to do now

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
One detail that is also important - if planning to wear bibs and a coat rig up a way to carry it attached to your climber for carry in. You want to leave the car feeling cold with one or two thin layer shirts. I put the middle layers in my pack. Bungie or tie the other layers onto the stand to back pack it in. At the stand I add layers except the coat, then put the safety harness on, and pull the coat up off the ground with the rest of my gear to put on after the stand is set.

Air activated Hand warmers and muff tubes work great with gloves that have fingers cut for best archery shooting. Hang the bow until you know the deer are about to show up.
1000 gram thinsulate boots work for my feet plus a liner sock and a heavy wool sock.
X2 on everything you said, that's how I do it too.
A muff with handwarmers and you only need a light pair of gloves. I use the HSS muff which also has pockets in it to hold some added gear.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ yup it's all about freezing when you're at the truck. You sweat even a little you'll get cold without fail. Look into wool for your undergarments. Merino wool base layers are very soft and comfortable with little restriction, like under armor makes you feel like a overstuffed sausage! Wool sweaters are great also for layering up. Wool and fleece products are the best as wool and fleece wick moisture good and wool actually retains a high percentage of the insulating factor when wet. Vests are good for bow hunting because you can bulk up without restricting your arms with more layers. After all the under garments a good wind proof jacket and wind proof bibs like deermaster said is key. I always keep disposable toe and hand warmers with me, they are a game changer when it's cold specially for the feet!

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
when it gets real cold I wear all synthetic clothing, coveralls, fleece... no cotton. Take your time moving around... do not work up a sweat. Sweat and you'll be miserable.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
As mentioned, don't sweat yourself up going in and make sure you can shoot your bow with the heavier layer. Protect your extremities along with your skin and keep your kidneys warm. (bibs) There are many opinions on what works and don't already suggested here. Hand muffs and hot hand warmers, Fleece Balaclava over a fleece watch cap or an under armor head mask is golden.

If you wear those over boot warmers make sure you put them on BEFORE your feet get cold.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts