New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone been noticing new sign in their woods. I found three fresh scrapes within the past week that aren't from the same deer. Its nice getting some new spark late in the year!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
After six-day drives and most of the gunners have left the woods, deer will return to where they've been.

2nd rut!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I noticed that scrapes were opened back up as well.

-dan

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Saturday I went with BHC and Brownstones to a place Brownstones was familiar with. I traveled through a big stand of thick pines with the occasional oak tree mixed in. Everywhere there was an oak tree the snow was dug up big time.

These are not scrapes. This is where does are feeding on acorns. I guess what I am saying is to look for feeding activity.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
27 Dec 2005 2:30 PM

Spike
Currently Online Posts: 179
noticed a new rub yesterday, bark scrapings where still on the ground...
I saw something like that also yesterday. I didn't notice any bark on the ground, but there was plenty of bark strings. I discounted it because I know for a fact at least two big bucks were taken from that general area. Maybe I should take a second look.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I walked into a 25 acre piece of land we own in Estelle Manor (Atlantic County) a few days ago and on the main trail going into the property, there were about 6-7 fresh scrapes. I was real surprised to see them. I have never hunted this property but I guess I should try it for winter bow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are not scrapes.
they definatley are, broken on top and all. there is alot of digging for acorns around too. I collected acorns two seasons ago during the fall and piled em up late and it paid off. i just got lazy this year[sad]

·
Registered
192 Posts
watched two bucks sparring this morning at rifle camp park, i would have thought it was odd for this time of year but its the second time i witnessed it in the last few days

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Every year I notice the deer sign kicks in during late December. Also if useing a bait pile you may notice some rubs around it. This is a buck claiming the pile as his. If you have shot the dominant buck in the area than this is a chance to shoot the new dominant buck;)...WInter bow is a great time to score. Lot of guys I know dont hunt winter bow much. I guess its the weather that stops most....Good luck!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Heres a question someone might be able to answer....

These scrapes we are finding, Breeding or Social scrapes?

The one that Kris and I found, had the overhanging branches worked over heavily. I always thought that that was a sign of a breeding scrape. However, some scrapes remain open year round, social scrapes. Do they utilize the overhanging branch? I was under the impression they DONT.[confused]

Now heres another thought, if there is still breeding activity going on this late, those fawns will never stand a chance come fall. The whitetails gestation period is about 6.5 months, or 195-200 days. This puts the fawns birth in July/middle of July. They wont even be 1/2 a year old when the winter hits. :(

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
The rut is not over until all the Doe's are bred. Those are breeding scrapes. Fewer Doe's in heat are harder to find so the Bucks will try and pinpoint where they aer. During the peak of the rut this is not necessary since almost all the does go into heat at once.

Some say there is no second rut in early January. I believe there is a secondary rut as they very young Doe's have their first Estrus cycle. I think this is a major part of why we see an increase in activity.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Deer spare and play with each other all year long.The time they don't is when they are in velvet. Watched bucks after they lost there horns still butt heads and they had no horns.Does jump up and play kicking matchs as well.The breeding cycles vary from bush to bush as well as with weather patterns.Does scrape and in mature bucks a lot. A mature buck knows who he is and so do the herd and he don't have to do any thing other than defend some times.This is not a mystic like others see it as .Its common woods sence. Unless you actually see the deer making the rub or the scape you can only surmise is what I have found for my self.The gathering spot is like a dog peeing on a pole the deer do the same thing in socialization.Youngs bucks watch old bucks the same as the does do and Learn from each other.We are supposed to learn from each other as well. I have a friend thats a unbeleivable woodsman who over the years has taught me greatly because he spent the time in the woods.If your a family man it will have a penalty spending the time to really learn.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
second rut is about 3 to 4 weeks after the first rut, or I should say breeding cycle. The rut starts when bucks loss their velvet back in Septmember. January is when the first breeding cycle starts in the Southern part of the USA, then the second breeding cycle is in Febuary. Most hunters dont see both cycles in the South, but we Northern Folks do. I have found scrapes (fresh) in May and June. they are mostly done by young bucks that try to be big bucks ( mostly done in playing around )some of which are just deer looking for food too. The trick is to know how to tell breeding scrapes from food scrapes, the best way to get down and smell the ground for pee.

Cat, you seem to know alot, buy so far we haven't heard any hunting stories from you taking any kind of game. DO you have any pics you would like to share with us? also what do you hunt with....Bow..Shotgun....Muzzleloader?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.