New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out last night to a spot I haven't hunted much this year because deer sightings have been very infrequent the last few years. Well, after shotgun and permit season this week, I guess the deer from the surrounding pieces all moved into this place (bowhunting permission only) because I was overrun with them this afternoon. I had two fawns come running by the stand at about 4:00pm. One went down the hill to the creek about 40 yards away, and the other turned and walked right by the stand at about 6 yards. A few minutes later, the deer that ran down to the creek was bleating, and soon joined by 3 others, one being an absolutely HUGE doe. Those 4 deer came up the hill and past the stand at less than 15 yards. The big doe stopped in an opening at 10 yards, broadside, but she was looking right under my tree, and I'm not that high as the area is full of holly trees so you can't go up very high. I couldn't draw or she would have busted me, so she escaped for today. The other deer went by and were joined by the fawn that passed me earlier, and they all walked up the hill towards the field.

About 10 minutes later, I heard more deer come crashing across the creek and thought it was a buck chasing a doe. It was actually two fawns playfully chasing each other around, and there were two nice sized does with them, and one buck that had dropped his antlers already. They all milled around the stand, less than 20 yards away, but were on alert from all the recent pressure. As they began to walk off, I saw more deer coming across the creek and decided it was time to take a doe out, as there seemed to be plenty of them here.

One good sized doe walked between two holly branches and gave me a pretty hard quartering away shot at about 18 yards. I nailed her perfect and was rewarded with one of the most prolific blood trails I've ever seen. After I shot her, she crashed off, but the other deer just froze (still within 15 yards of the tree), and a few more came up the hill. For the next 20 minutes I had 5 deer all around me, browsing like nothing had happened, for the most part. One of the other mature does was walking around, trying to find what caused the commotion but after a while, she just gave up on finding me and walked off, taking the rest of the herd with her.

She dressed out at 118 pounds, and judging her against the huge doe I saw, that big [email protected]#h must weight 140+. She will be my next target. This is the first doe I've killed in NJ this year, got one in Ohio earlier.

Now for the "other"...

I wasn't going to post this because it really isn't much of a "hunting" story, but since several others have similar stories, I might as well add mine. I was out scouting public land for where the deer go when pressured this week and found this 4-pointer tangled in some briars on a WMA in zone 28 earlier this week. I could see he was hurt, as he couldn't get out of the briars to run away, so I went to the store, bought a shotgun permit for this zone and went back and finished him with a heart shot. He had his back end busted up bad from a load or two of buck shot. From the looks of the wound, he was walking or running straight away from the shooter. I don't normally buy the shotgun permit, but didn't want to see this deer suffer, or be eaten alive by coyotes, and my brother in Virgina will be glad to have him, so put him out of his misery. I've only found 3 or 4 deer wounded like this in 28 seasons, so hopefully that means it's not too frequent. He has cloudy eyes because I just took the picture (wasn't planning on it as there is nothing to be proud of), and he's been hanging for a few days.

If someone here knows of a hunter who shot at a four-pointer on Union Lake WMA in this manner, you can tell him/her the deer was recovered.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
real nice!! congrats[up][up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
You can be proud. You didn't allow him to suffer. Good job on both.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Looks like Tenderloins are on order for this evening!

Congrats![up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Wow, too bad you had to buy a shotgun permit just to put another persons deer out of its misery.[down]

You did the right thing though.[up][up]

Congrats on both deer! :)

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, too bad you had to buy a shotgun permit just to put another persons deer out of its misery
Yeah, well, the thought of coyotes getting him while was still alive was pretty ugly, and besides, I figured it was a good opportunity to get a deer for my brother who lives out of state and doesn't hunt, so, all for the best.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. The hunt where I shot that doe was alot of fun. The blood trail was something to behold. Learned some things about where pressured deer hide on an extremely heavily hunted WMA too.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did you chek him as antlered or anterless?
Don't think I understand the question...he is obviously an antlered deer. Is there some way I could have checked him as antlerless?

Matt, the shot on the doe couldn't have been better had I walked up and placed the arrow exactly where I wanted. Needless to say I was happy with that.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I should of done the same thing during PA archery season...I saw a buck that had a bad front leg....but in PA i can only take one buck a year, he looked like he got his butt handed to him by another buck.....

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Where did you harvest them?

Are you in South Jersey?

Must be no snow where you are.

Not trying to be a jerk, I am just asking.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Ok[up]

I thought you may have been from Maryland or some other southern state.

Congrats again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.