New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the rut winds down and winter bow gets closer I am curious on what guys focus on as far as tactics to take good bucks before they drop their horns. Its my understanding that alot of bucks are worn down after the rut and will bed close to food sources...if this is the case, acorns shouldnt last over the next couple of months correct? So would greenbriar thickets be a good place to start later in the season to look for big bucks?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I figure deer survive without people dumping corn and they know whats suposed to be there and whats not
Thats an amazing concept right? LOL Winter can be tough, Ive seen deer on their hind legs eating pine needles. There isnt alot of choices in the winter for deer. They will eat whatever they can get. You wont find any acorns, especially this year. The few there were are long gone.

When it snows look for runs, winter is one of the best times to find bedding areas. I do alot of scouting in the winter. Where I live in zone 3 it is boulders and very rough terrain. It is very hard to fins any runs unlike a farm flat area where we hunt in zone 2 where runs are everywhere. Use the snow to find out about your area, then you can hone in on their food source.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I hunt the winter season every year. Actually I got my first bow kill ever during winter bow(many years ago) im getting old... Anyway, the bucks will start to concentrate more on their stomach than females. Its a tough time, its cold and the deer will still be herded up. so when you see them, there will be may eyes to fool. They been hit with everthing all season but the kitchen sink. I like to hunt as close to the bedroom as possible. If there is little or no snow on the ground, go back to those overlooked food sources you noticed during the fall. I have had great luck hunting near thick cedar/hemlock plantations. It can be a rewarding hunt that time of year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
just try to find what the deer are feeding on in the area you hunt and hunt the tarvel corridors they use to get to the food.
the one are i hunt has alot of raspberries that grow in the area and the deer eat the viney bushes in the winter. they also hit the fields of grass in the area iquite often. find the food find the deer in winter bow.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Just hope we don't get another 3 and a half feet of snow this year that lasts through the entire winter bow season. In weather like that, they exert more energy looking for food than they gain back when they actually find it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just hope we don't get another 3 and a half feet of snow this year that lasts through the entire winter bow season. In weather like that, they exert more energy looking for food than they gain back when they actually find it.
some poeple are soaying that this years snow is going to be the worst yet. some said its going to be like that one in 96 i think it was

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
if you are hunting in an area where there is a lot of gun pressure, the deer will be up in the neighborhoods, look for trails leading in and out into the woods. if its an area without gun hunting, the deer will be up in the neighborhoods, look for trails leading in and out into the woods.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
id rather hunt natural food sources, I figure deer survive without people dumping corn and they know whats suposed to be there and whats not....I just dont see many people taking trophy deer over a pile of corn.
RESPECT !!

I've never really put much time in the woods during Winter Bow because I generally start switching my focus to preparing for the upcoming race season/training, but, this year I'm gonna give it a try.

I'm going to key in on bedding areas and food sources, similar to early season tactics. As someone else stated, cover, as well. With the foliage gone, the woods are "open", I would assume mature bucks will be bedding on the breakline (where the thick stuff meets the open woods) so that they can smell, see and hear all while maintaining cover. Food plots and crop fields are picked clean, but, we will freshen up the fields by spreading 300 or 400lbs of corn per week with a spreader so that destination food sources are still available.

If you've found sheds to a buck that YOU consider a shooter, focus on those areas, because, he was obviously wintering there at some point in his life. Run those trail cameras and scout. If it snows, DONT HUNT; SCOUT. So much more becomes visible in the snow !!

Good luck, bro. I hope you smack a winter buck !!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
There's plenty of food out there in the late season, just go out and find some bait piles and hunt over them.

Around here, we only have a 2 week winter bow season and it takes the deer at least that long to recover after being pushed about by shotgun wielding mobs for a few months, so winter bow is really a joke, but hey, if you can find those left over food deposits from gun season, go for it. :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You know where u got to go buddy, if you don't want to bait pick out a spot in a thicker area within shooting distance of a cedar tree and do alittle pruning, they will pick them cedar branches clean. After our chat I reckon you're chances of harvesting that fella you've been after are likely. And when you do, you deserve a real pat on the back for being patient and not given up.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
thats the only time of the year i push the issue and get as close to the bedding area as i can. Try to find established runs on the way to the food. Hunt dark overcast days when fronts and storms are coming and you may get lucky and catch a good one on his feet early.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.