New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked up last years harvest numbers and they were down from previous years. This comes off a couple of good years. Hopefully its not a downward trend.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Could be less hunters.

Could have been due to the weather of the 6-day Firearm. Lots of different things to consider. I wouldnt worry about the population of deer though, still seems to be too many in most areas.

Can you check the individual season totals, and compare them to previous years? How about hunter numbers? I believe they were down again last year.
If you can find that stuff out, try to let us know, it would be interesting to look at.

Have a good one---Matt

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do believe that there are less hunters. I like alot of people can only hunt on Saturdays and with a couple of young kids my hunting time is being cut into by soccer time. Luckily I have get 6 weeks of vacation time plus holidays so I do take time to hunt.
On my property I still see a number of deer during the year and during the season. I think there are alot of factors to last years decline but at this time I am not too concerned or should I be?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow after looking at the total number of hunting licenses over the years, the number of firearm licenses sold has declined to 50,000 plus. Less hunters is a good and bad thing. Good in more woods for me to hunt, bad that there are less people to defend our sport.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
It's a cultural thing. Families working 2 jobs, less free time, youth sports taking up gobs of time. If you notice fishing license sales have dropped at about the same pace. Sad.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't think it will. There are a lot of guy that do family thing's on Sunday like church, Football game's I know I can't miss the Giant's on Sunday's because I'm a season ticker holder or Taking there kid's places. I really don't think there will be many guy's hunting on a Sunday. I would say it will be less then half the bow hunter's in the state. It will be good for the guy's who can go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would double my days in the woods if they passed the sunday hunting law. I hunt behind my house so during the evening sit I would miss some of the Eagles games that start at 4. Oh I forgot most of the people on this site are Giants and Jets fans so you should probably go hunting and not waste your time on those games.;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Eagles ,
Now the guy are in a lot of Sh!t this year . T.O sent home till he talk's to the coach. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Well I felt it last year , worst year I had. I hope it was just a fluke.I talked to guys from all over new jersey and new york,they all said it was a slow season. A friend told me a friend of his was scouting in NY and found 30 deer skulls in a coyote den. I'm thinkin they might be contributing to the slower seasons.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
In Mt. Olive (zone 8) I saw less deer on a daily basis, but the home owners who give me access are still reporting heavy damage to their property. But on my Chester property (also zone 8) there are deer every where.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 35
Here is the link for licenses sold 1970-2003
One reason for this drastic decline in license sales is cost. If I buy the NY non-resident all around license it cost about the same as buying the extra stamps and permits in NJ for the same hunting & fishing privileges($250). The down side of hunting NY is that the only place in reasonable distance is Sterling Forest. Sterling Forest sucks now that NYS runs it and any place else in NY is just too far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts