New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with only two days left for me to hunt those darn turkeys since I have to work on Friday, I changed it up for this mornings hunt. I hunt a large estate in zone 7 and for the last week and on Monday I have been sitting in my ground blind with very little luck. For some twenty two hours of sitting in the blind the only thing I had seen was a few hens and several deer. Upon talking to my host he told me than he has been seeing several turkeys strutting on the "lower lawn" just above the woods I had be successful in taking two gobblers with my shotgun in weeks one and three. A change I thought would do me good. This "lawn" is huge and is about 200 yards from where I had been sitting. Since the woods has become so thick, I decided to move out of the woods I was in and up to where the Host had been seeing these birds. Yesterday after work at 3:00 P.M. I moved the blind and set it just inside the woods off the "lawn: where I thought I might get a shot if these birds showed up again today. This morning I was in the blind at 4:50 a.m. but this time I decided to bring my bow. Thinking I already had two with the shotgun, I thought I would try to make up for last year when I shot one with my bow only to have a yote get to it before I did. I watched that dog run off with a 20 lb. long beard in his mount with me running after him like a fool thinking he would drop my bird. No such luck all I got was a box full of turkey feathers! Well with that in mind, I was set this morning. I heard a few gobbles from the roost from 5:15 to 5:45 but then nothing. I had set out a jake and hen decoy only ten yards in from of my blind hoping if I did get lucky and have a bird come in that he would be close for an easy bow shot. From first light till 10:35 I only saw another hen and a doe but at about 10:45 everything changed. I had been doing my soft calling when suddenly I got a gobble from behind me. Making a very long story shorter, I ended up calling in two jakes, six hens, and five long beards. Man I was in turkey heaven!!! At about 11 :35 I was getting worried that none of the long beards would ever get close enough for a shot. I took off my watch and set in on the ground in front of me and began to watch the minutes tick by. Finally at 11:55 when I thought I would not get my chance, one of the hens who had walked to my far left began cutting like crazy. Just the help I needed. One of the long beards almost came running from my right and made the mistake of stopping for my hen decoy. Sorry bud. at seventeen yard I let my Mathews Switchback XT do what it does best. The arrow flew straight and true and my bird went down on the spot. I watched then as three of the other long beards decided it was a perfect time to kick a guy when he was down. I watched the action for about ten minutes before getting my Bow Long Beard. Oh and the best part was I was self filming the hunt so I got it on video! All in all a perfect ending to a great season for me. Lesson learned, hunt till the end of legal time, don't give up, remember "all thing come to those who wait" Good luck to all for the last three days of this year's season! Stats.18 lbs. 10"beard right spur 1/2"
left spur 1 1/4" also missing a toe on the left foot.[confused] :D

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Great story and great bow kill[up][up][up]Way to end the season[up][up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Awesome story Greg and great pics. Congrats on a fantastic turkey season![up]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Way to go Greg [up]
Congratulations on a well earned Bow Bird !!!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
awesome! congrats![up]

·
Registered
17,068 Posts
Great story, Greg.;) Nice bird, Congrats. [up][up]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts