New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to hunt a landlocked NJDEP Wildlife Management Area in Lafayette. I am moving so I figured I would share.
There are three parcels landlocked by Lafayette Township Property along Warbasse Junction Road.
Near the intersection of Route 94.
The road is posted by the township of Lafayette along the west side of he road right next to the Paulinskill Trail.
I double checked with the township years ago and you can access the landlocked DEP hunting lands via the township property but cannot have a knocked arrow or loaded shotgun when walking on the township owned lands. You pak at Paulinskill Trail lot and walk on the corn field right in.

Lafayette leases their land which is mostly crop land to a farmer who harvests corn every year. The place is loaded with deer, I was after a monster 10 point last year I got on cam peeing in a scape and found his shed in December.
65" shed!
So he should be a 150" buck this year. I passed on many nice bucks waiting on him.

Anyway if you are interested I attached a map below.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If at all interested you should scout it at a minimum.
Surrounding properties are owned by clubs, but I only saw one other hunter there in 5 years.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If at all interested you should scout it at a minimum.
Surrounding properties are owned by clubs, but I only saw one other hunter there in 5 years.
I've hunted and drove that piece for years, probably close to 10-12 years. You have more people who illegally hunt the township leased land than you do the actual WMA. That spot is no secret.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Any land butting up to the old hyper humus property that was bought by the state, gets plenty of attention during all the deer seasons. This is NJ no secret spots, everything gets pounded......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't speak for gun season but that is not what I have seen during bow season, and based on the amount of mature animals located in and around that property it is a pretty big secret. I had 1 other younger guy with a Subaru I saw early season. He was local and green and hunted it with a recurve 3 times.

When I started hunting it I was tested by locals as to the validity of entering the Township side , that has no hunting signs all over. I called the township and they said you absolutely have the right to use as access. Locals or antis have posted the heck out of it with Lafayette Township "No Hunting" signs as intimidation to repel hunters but 100% legal.

Without oN X Hunt GPS app it is basically a hidden piece of primo state land landlocked by private and the deep canal.

2 stands in the whole joint. One was mine. Many guys hunt off of hyper humus and the Paulinskill Trail - Garrison Road (which is also loaded with bucks ) but no one knows about that spot outlined on the maps.

Just telling people to check it out and make your own decision, take a ride and just look at the property, the amount of hunter activity, and size of the mass amount of tracks in the field (which has apple trees in the middle).

The middle of the the top of the little ridge has a huge bedding area that you cannot pernitrate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AlecsZ7 - just saying, if you have been driving that piece during gun season for years, as a long time member and seasoned hunter you must know that property holds some nice bucks during bow season.

It is rare to have a cornfield surrounded by swamp with a thick bedding area in the middle and not have some nice deer. The parade of does coming out of the bedding area and also the bucks that bed across the canal in the thick swamp (I here them splash and see them come out of the thick as they come through the property across the canal) then hit the coenfield during bow season was impressive.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
AlecsZ7 - just saying, if you have been driving that piece during gun season for years, as a long time member and seasoned hunter you must know that property holds some nice bucks during bow season.

It is rare to have a cornfield surrounded by swamp with a thick bedding area in the middle and not have some nice deer. The parade of does coming out of the bedding area and also the bucks that bed across the canal in the thick swamp (I here them splash and see them come out of the thick as they come through the property across the canal) then hit the coenfield during bow season was impressive.
There is no big bucks in that whole piece 👀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts