New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading up to Lake Ontario today for Browns and Jacks... it's kind of late for them (best time is mid april until mid may) but I'm hoping the cold weather we've had will have kept the water temp down a bit. We soon shall see.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I was fighting off a sinus infection last week (and still feeling crappy) but went on the trip anyway. Saturday morning we hooked one brown (just under 9 pounds) in 140 feet of water. It didn't really put up much of a fight.... maybe it did and I didn't notice since we were set up for salmon. We headed in for lunch and planned on running out to about 650 but the weather had changed and was pushing 2 and 3 footers... we didn't want to get stuck out there in 6 or 8 footers so we stayed in around 150 again... caught nothing but had a few knockoffs. We went out to a bar for a bite to eat and then to a "gentlemens" club... new tip of the day, don't go to a gogo bar in a rural area... YUCK!!:p We headed out again sunday morning only to find the lake was pushing 5 and 6 footers with whitecaps. So we went and got breakfast then headed home. So needless to say, it wasn't exactly a stellar weekend of fishing.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Well atleast you got some fish..Weather is a big player up in the big O.

How many teeth did them women have? Or was it tooth?:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well atleast you got some fish..Weather is a big player up in the big O.
Yeah, I talked to a guy at the launch for a little bit waiting for sun up to better gauge the weather and he told me when he gets blown off of Lake Ontario, he heads down to Lake Cayuga... the browns and lakers aren't as big as ontario but there are more of them. I may go camping up there this summer and try it out.

How many teeth did them women have? Or was it tooth?
I didn't get a close enough look... their guts stuck out too far.:( I weigh about 250 and they made me look like a little man.:p

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
:D:D now thats a whole lotta women.. We fished the Valley for the tournament. Waiting to get the results. We did good.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Waiting to get the results. We did good.
Whadya get? Any size? Any pics? What were you using? Trolling or live bait? How deep? Where on the lake? What's your favorite color? What's your middle name? You get the picture... need more info.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Not confirmed yet but...
1st place laker div. 3.78lb laker
5th or 6th rainbow div 1.84lb bow
2nd place youth div. 3.30lb laker

Just waitin for confirmation on the above. My son and pop caught most of the fish. I played captain. We hit a total of 19 fish in 2 days.

A 21 LB laker took the grand prize!

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Yup thankfully...

Two adult divisions,,Lake Trout and Brown/Bow.. Biggest trout regardless wins grand prize

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You get out there alot Joe? I need to get my boat finished... just need to find time... maybe I'll link up with you sometime and pick your brain, I've never run a downrigger on my own or in the valley (only ontario).

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Not as much as I like too. Time is a problem for me too. Early season is the best up there.I fish this contest every year. Summertime it pretty much dies out so I switch to salt. It is a hard place to fish now. It's not like it was 5 years ago. My uncle and cousin fished it too but only had a throw back. Let me know when you get set up and we'll get together.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool... I may hit merril creek too. I've heard thier numbers are higher... just gotta get a second (and maybe a third) battery to run my trolling motors.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've only fished it once on a really bad day... weather was horrible and nothing was biting.

It is a hard place to fish now. It's not like it was 5 years ago
What did you mean by that anyway? I noticed it in the last few years getting overfished... that's why I normally fish there late in the evening or even at night.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
It was nothing to catch big fish all the time. 6-7 lb lakers were the norm. Big browns were common too. Anybody could catch them. It has changed for the worse.

The herring population crashed and the big fish followed. The state lowered the laker min from 24 to 20 to help get some fish out. The big browns have since disappered. Clouds of bait can no longer be seen on a fishfinder. We have not caught a laker over 4lbs. The last big brown we caught was in 97. These fish use to have a stomach loaded with herring. I remember counting 13 in laker of about 8lbs. The stomachs from the fish we got this weekend had the herring we gave them and some shrimp..The state is currently conducting a study to determine what happened.I hope they can correct it somehow.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had heard that before, but I didn't know it was that bad. I know a few years ago, they lowered the lake level to pump in water from the south branch. From what I read the lake doesn't have the nutrients necessary to produce plankton (not sure if that's the correct term or not) to feed the bait fish so they died off... and I'm assuming they took the larger predators with them. They were hoping the introduction of water from the south branch would help the problem... I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
You are on the money...Plankton...the smallest member of the food chain..Amazing what can happen if you break that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts