New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Should have posted this earlier. This young eagle was on a stump in Lake Musconetcong about a month ago. They had the lake lowered for dock repairs etc.
He/she was having a good ole time looking for fish in the shallow water.

Just thought it was pretty neat as we don't get many chances to see them around here.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This bird seemed to be a young one and was right across the street from the house.
Unfortunately my digital camera is a pocket type and the tele lens on it "ain't" great.
It sat there for a few minutes until it got tired of me watching it in the binocs and the camera. Then took off and circled the lake a few times and went to the other end where access is less to humans.

Beautiful bird. When you see it flying above you, you know why it's the symbol of our nation.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Awesome pic.[up][up]

Ive seen them around my house here a few times too. At first I thought I was crazy, but I talked to some others that have seen them too.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL bird!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I think it is by the time they are 3. I was guessing younger by the length of his beak etc. When looking through the binocs and seeing it up close the tail wasn't as full, the beak wasn't as long as I have seen on some and the body wasn't as big. Making me think it was maybe a younger bird.
But you are correct about the white head. Something keeps telling me about the 3rd year. [confused]

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to a Bald Eagle site I just went to they reach maturity including the full colors at age 4-5.
So this bird was at least that old but may still be a younger bird as they live an avg of 15-20 yoa in the wild. Captive birds live closer to 30 yoa.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Last bald eagle I saw was flying about the South Branch in Ken Lockwood Gorge. Beautiful and majestic. I just wish the crows would leave them alone.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Nice photo TJC, down here in May the Cohansey River is loaded with them. Lots of young birds with a few adults. I guess the bunker, herring and white perch are on there spring diets as I have witnessed them catching and eating them.

Ryan

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wild work,
I just wish I had a better digital to take a closer pic. It truely is something to see.
The lake was lowered that week for dock repairs etc. I'm sure that bird was eating very well as the lake is not that deep to begin with. It was probably nailing a bunch of fish for b'fast, lunch, and dinner. LOL

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I know all about switching to digital, I have about $20k wrapped up in photo equipment and now digital. Good thing I use Canon eos system, lens are the most expensive things. Still your photograph is clear and crisp. If you move to any telephoto lens remember for every 50mm its equal to 1X like on a rifle scope. The human eye, 1X and 50mm are all the same. I have a 200mm-600mm zoom that cost me $4200 used, $7000 new. I treat it like a quail egg.

Ryan

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Thats a good picture. I see the eagles at Merrill Creek Reservoir in the spring. Had one come down and take a small lake trout that didn't make it back to the deep. Never have a camera when I see one close like that. Same with the loons when they decide to pop up next to the boat.

The eagles as well as the snow geese should be coming to the reservoir shortly. The eagles put on a heck of show when they start looking to take a goose or two for dinner. So I am told. I'll have to get up there and see for myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts