Registered
6,889 Posts
Venison Pie.

2 lbs ground venison
1 pkg frozen spinach
8 oz ricotta cheese
16 oz mozzarella cheese
favorite red gravy (tomato sauce)

-Take a round pie plate and make a ½ inch crust from the ground venison.
-Drain the spinach well, and mix well with 8 oz of the mozzarella and 8 oz of ricotta cheese.
-Place the cheese/spinach mixture in the center of the pie
-Make a top to the pie with ground venison, be sure to pinch the edges together all around the pie to seal the mixture in the center.
-Top with your favorite gravy/sauce and bake for about 40 minutes on 350.
-For the last five minutes of baking time, cover the top with as much of the remaining mozzarella as you wish and throw in a few slices of garlic bread.

This is pretty heavy so have some friends over.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Hearty venison stuffing. I use this stuffing on a few different cuts of meat.

1 pound hot Italian venison sausage
8 oz crumbled blue cheese
roasted red peppers
½ cup Italian style bread crumbs

Start with about 1 pound of hot Italian (or mild if you don’t like hot sausage) venison sausage. Remove from casing and cook crumbled sausage well in a pan. Drain well, get as much grease out as you can. Once sausage is drained well I rinse it to wash off all the grease and fat I can in a colander(health nut here, and I just don’t like my stuffing and meat swimming in grease). Pat it dry with paper towels and return it to a pan on low heat. Add in crumbled blue cheese, bread crumbs and roasted peppers, season to taste with black pepper. Heat it just enough to start to melt the blue cheese.

3 ways I like to use it are this…
You can take sections of the backstrap and cut them about 1 inch thick, maybe a little thicker if you like. Starting on the top, take a knife and form a pocket in the steak, but be sure to only open about 1/3 of the edge, use the knife to make the rest of the pocket inside the steak without cutting the edge open. Stuff with the blue cheese and sausage stuffing, place them in a baking dish and bake on 400 for about 15 minute for medium doneness. Depending on the thickness of the meat and how you like it cooked, the cooking time will vary.

We butcher our own deer, so I like to take the neck meat for stuffed roasts as well. If you have ever processed your own deer, you know the neck comes off in “flaps”. These can be trimmed up well and make great roasts for stuffing with this mixture or your favorite bread stuffing. Another stuffing tip…mushrooms and crumbled hot Italian sausage (drained well) really dress up bread stuffing for turkey, chicken or venison roasts.

If your deer is large enough, you may get a sizable piece of meat from the flank, and you can use the flank for stuffing as well. Whether you use the neck flaps or flank, just lay it flat, spread on the stuffing and roll it up. Tie it with a string and cook it to the desired doneness.

You can also use 10 inch back strap section, just cut it down the middle and stuff it, then secure across the top with tooth picks and cook in the oven to desired doneness.

I actually use the whole backstrap section or 1 inch steaks when having company over, served with a baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter, and a side of asparagus some toasted garlic bread and a good Merlot ( I like the Ausies wines), it’s always been a huge hit.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
For a good side to go with soups or stews, try this.

Get a roll of those instant biscuits and place them on a cookie sheet. Crumble some venison sausage in a pan cook and drain well. Separate the biscuits and place a little of the sausage and some cheddar cheese in the middle, pinch the edges closed. Bake them according to the package directions and serve the sauaage and cheddar biscuits with you venison soup or stew.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Venison barb-b-que sandwiches

Take one venison roast, I prefer a boned ham from a smaller deer. Coat it well with your favorite dry rub (or the one below) and let it sit over night in the fridge. The next morning, place the coated ham in a crock pot with ½ cup of white vinegar and ½ cup apple cider vinegar and cook on low all day. After about 8 hours, remove the meat to a large pot and shred it with two forks. It’s a little work, but makes a better sandwich. After the meat is shredded, spoon a little of the juice from the crock pot into the pot with the meat, then dump your favorite barbeque sauce in and mix it well. Reheat on low heat. When warm, put the meat on a Kaiser roll, with a bit of horse radish if you like, break out the cole slaw or potato salad and sweet tea and you’ve got a great southern barbque thing happening. Have plenty of friends over because one deer ham makes a lot of sandwiches.

This same thing works great with wild turkey breasts in place of the venison ham.

Dry rub:
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup paprika
¼ cup seasoned salt
3 tbls black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cyanne pepper
1 tsp basil

mix together well.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Sausage pasta bake
1 pound rotini pasta ( I like the wheat pasta)
1 pound Italian sausage
8 oz ricotta cheese
8 oz mozzarella
¼ cup parmesian
favorite red sauce/gravy
1 tbs basil

Cook sausage in casing well and then cut into ½ thick pieces. Then cut those pieces in half( If you cut the sausage into smaller pieces first, it cooks faster) While the sausage is cooking, cook pasta and drain. Add pasta to a square, deep baking dish and mix in ricotta, most of the mozzarella, and the parmesian cheese, mix in the sausage chunks, basil and gravy. Top with gravy and bake in oven for 15 minutes on 350. Remove, add mozzarella and return to oven for 5 minutes with garlic bread slices. Top with some grated parmesian cheese, or pecorino romano works great too, and serve. My kids love this one.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Venison Italiano

1 pound of venison cubes (I like using sections of the back straps either cubed or cut into steaks ¾ inch thick, but any venison cubes will do)
Red gravy
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Brown steaks or cubes in olive oil and pat them dry. Place in a baking dish, cover with red gravy and mozzarella cheese. Bake in oven on 400 for 15 minutes, serve with garlic bread and a side of pasta.

You can also bread the venison backstrap steaks before browning them and make your own venison parm dish, or if using a deep baking dish and cubed meat, make a second layer of cubes, gravy and cheese. The kids love this one too.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Each year, me and my two brothers will try to get a deer in close enough to take with a head shot during the early muzzleloader season. We try to get a few front shoulders with no trauma, and head shooting seems to be the best way. I don't usually like to take head shots, but under the right circumstances I will and it's worked well for me.

We take the clean shoulders and have them smoked, then cut the meat off in small chunks and use it on a serving tray with other finger food during holiday parties. It tastes alot like ham, and Hickory Farms sweet hot mustard compliments it well. The smoked venison usually goes faster than the pepperoni on the tray.

We then take the bones, and what meat is left and cook them down to make navy bean and split pea soup. The guys at work fight over that soup.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
A good way to do striper is to take the filet and cut it in half, thirds if it's a big filet. Put in a baking dish and sprinkle with Old Bay, lemon pepper seasoning, a little parsely and put a pat of butter on top. Cook in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes on 400. That fish comes out great, almost like crab meat.

Speaking of crabs...
get yourself about 1/2 bushel of crabs clean them well and spread them out on newspaper. Season them liberlally with Old Bay, parsely, Italian seasoning, black pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, garlic salt, onion powder, a little cyanne and throw in a little extra oregano. In a large pot, add just a splash of water, one can of beer, splash of oilive oil, table spoon of minced garlic and a couple of bay leaves. Steam them suckers for about 15 minutes and start pickin'. Don't throw away the liquid in the pot. Transfer it to a smaller pot and cook it down for a while to concentrate the flavors. While it's cooking down, pick some of the crabs and throw the meat in a bowl. Cook yourself a pound of linguini, dump the crab stock you cooked down over it, top with the crab meat and a bunch of grated locatella cheese and eat til your heart is content.

Actually, if you just dump the crab stock over the linguini, and put it in the fridge over night, then add the crab meat the next day and microwave it, then top with locatella, it's better. The pasta marinates in the crab stock overnight and soaks up the flavor. Don't skip the locatella...it sends it over the top. This was a summertime favorite for me, my brothers and my Dad.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Venizones

Dough:
1 cup warm water (105 - 115 deg's)
1 tablespoon quick-rise active dry yeast
2 table spoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups all purpose flour

Filling:
1 lb ground venison, crumbled
1 small onion, chooped (1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups prepared pasta sauce, (home made is better)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (2 1/4oz) slice black olives, drained (optional)
1 - 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten

In large bowl mix water and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes, or until bubbly. Stir in oil and salt. Add 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of remaining flour until dough pulls away from side of bowl.

Turn dough out onto lighty floured surface. Knead for 5 - 10 minutes. Adding flour until smooth and elastic. Place dough in mixing bowl that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place for 20 - 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, mix venison, onions and garlic in 10" skillet. Cook over medium heat for 6 - 8 minutes, or until meat is not pink, drain. Stir in sauce, mushrooms, olives, Italian seasoning, fennel seed and red pepper flakes. Set aside.

Heat over to 350deg's Punch down dough. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 7" circles. Spread 1/2 - 2/3 cup filling over half of 1 circle to within 1" of edge. Top with 1/4 cup cheese. Fold other half of dough over filling: pinch edges to seal. Using spatula, transfer to baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Repeat with remaining dough circles, filling and cheese. Let Venizones rest for 10 minutes.

Brush tops with beaten egg. bake for 20 - 24 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: Calories:595, Protein: 29g, carbs: 59g, fat: 27g, Cholesterol: 120mg, Sodium: 872mg

I've tried these...that's a great one Mystic. [up] ;)

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Figured I'd bring this back up since there are some fresh ingredients on the ground now. :D

Buck Fever Zucchini: one small tenderloin per zucchini half

-cut large zucchini lengthwise, scoop out centers
-season zucchini 'boats' with black pepper and garlic powder
-dice eggplant (can substitute or add portabella mushrooms)
-brown fresh venison tenderloin (do not fully cook) in olive oil and minced garlic, add diced, eggplant
-drain well and shred venison
-lay roasted red peppers in zucchini shells,
-place strips of shredded venison on top of roasted peppers
-spoon diced eggplant on top of venison
-add tomato slices to top of each shell
-bake in oven @ 350 for 25 minutes
-remove from oven, add slices of provolone ( or fresh mozzerella),
-return to oven for 5 minutes

throw in a few slices of garlic bread.

Here is another one I got from cooks.com, and modified a little: Broccoli and sausage pie.

-one pound of loose, hot Italian venison sausage
-one package frozen chopped broccoli
-one frozen pie crust
-6 cloves garlic
-one can cheddar cheese soup (or broccoli and cheddar soup)
-shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-sliced, chopped or slivered almonds (optional)

to cook:
-Slice garlic cloves into chips
-Cook sausage with garlic drain off fat well, set aside
-Cook broccoli and drain
-Mix sausage w/garlic, broccoli, and cheddar cheese soup (and almonds, if desired)
-fill pie crust with mixture
-bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
-cover top with shredded cheddar cheese and return to oven for 15 minutes
-for last five minutes, throw in a few slices of Texas Toast

You can use spinach instead of broccoli too.

Your favorite red wine or beer go well with both of these.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Just finished a great one. I got the basic recipe from Cooks.com, and modified it a little.

1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2+ pound of hot Italian venison sausage
1 apple

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl, and pour in an 8x8 baking dish. Crumble and brown the sausage, and drain well. Pat with paper towels to remove all the grease possible. Peel and slice the apple and place on top of the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and brown sugar on top the apples, then cover with the sausage.

Bake in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes.

You have to be careful not to eat too much of this, it is GOOD!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
VENISON CORN CHOWDER
1 lb. venison sausage
1 c. onion, coarsely chopped
4 c. potatoes, peeled cut in 1/2 inch
cubes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
2 c. water
1 (17 oz.) can creamed corn
1 (17 oz.) can kernel corn
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
Cook sausage and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain on paper toweling. Put in Dutch oven with potatoes, spices and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add both kinds of corn and evaporated milk. Heat through. Serves 6.
I made this and it's excellent. Put a little of the sausage aside, or cook some extra and make sausage and cheddar biscuits to go with it. Just take some of those biscuits in a tube, put them on a cookie sheet, split them and put some sausage and cheddar cheese in the middle, pinch the edges and bake them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.