New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks; After a long and hard process I have finally convinced a few buddies to go with an outfitter for a bow hunt. I am looking for any suggestions or experiences both good and bad for any outfitters in Ohio, Illinois etc.. We are open to other areas as well. One of my buddies who was at the wifes party last night happens to be a F&G Officer and just returned from ILL. Told the boys that our big 8's and 10's are common everyday 1 1/2 to 2 1/2's out West and Mid-West.

Quote from buddy "See we tend to have thicker short racks up here because our primary source is acorns and browse, not much farmland,grain etc.." Amazing I have been telling the boys that for years and a little F&G Officer thrown in makes such an impact.

Anyway appreciate any and all feedback regarding outfitters anywhere in US for that matter.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mack familiar with that and it is a great resource but some times word of mouth/personal experience will tell you a lot mor than a glittzy site. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hey prez..what r u the Prez of?

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Powder River outfitters in Montana. Pope and young antelopes,Pope and Young Mule deer and pope and young whitetails. Stop by at the Harrisburg show to see and talk to them. Doug Gardner is one of the finest outfits I've been to and i have been on alot paid hunts.A number of articals been written about them in Bow Hunter. I have been on hunts and got the animals I have been after and will not go back with a couple outfitters. Be very carefull on horseback to. I will never trust an outfitter again that says his horse is sure footed and he knows what to do. You have to lead every horse I feel. I had a bugger try to knock me off of him down a canyon once.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Do your research a lot of Guides and outfitters don't tell you the truth and the animals they show you are from the good old days . I gave this kid at the Harrisburg show a deposit to hunt MT one year who was reputal at the time and I knew him. He had worked for an outfitter I was with twice and now he had his own outfit. Well the hunt never took place and it seems he collected some deposits on differant hunts from several people from the Harrisburg show then either went out of buisness or never got it off the ground. I truly don't know what happened to him. I called the MT guides asso. and they said they were looking into it but had several complaints. Alot of good that did me and the others we all lost the money. Remeber if it sounds to good it usally is no good.Do your research.

G

·
I use to hunt up on THUNDER MTN. Road, but then I got a lease in SPARTA, had that for a few years, after losing it do to builders, went back, and I now hunt on OLD MINE RD., roughly 4 miles north of the DIGMANS FERRY BIDGE.

How did you do this year and in years past? This year I got 2 bucks, 1 with the bow, and the other with the smokepole...shotgun season sucked

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats one of the reasons I am asking members here what their experiences were and with who (When it comes to outfitters, other info is a need to know basis and I don't need to know!! lol).

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
One other thing fellows I was going to Illinois my self this past fall and was really excited because the guide was from this area and I knew him. I'm glad I didn't go and told him we will see him maybe in 2006. They did very poor this year he told me and I was very glad I didn't go yet.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
years past we use to do pretty good. this year very few deer in the area. took a good 8 last year and a bear in 03. we use to hunt the top end of old mine rd. in montague shot most of my bucks up there. seems like not to many deer there anymore either.I am now hunting a piece in randolph alot more deer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts