New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The open breach uses the 209 primer direct instead of the red plastic holders. I have both breatches on the Mountaineer predecessor (LRH) but have only used the open breach. I just bought it and did some shooting in light drizzle with no problem. Not sure how it would be in a rain storm. The fellow that I bought if from said hunting in the rain was not a problem.....I bought his backup, he still has his primary one. Keeping tape over the end of the barrel to keep the powder dry is probaby more important. Put shotshell primer in there and a bit of tape over the end of the barrel and I would be reasonably confident for deer in NJ. On a bigtime hunt in the rain, I probably would put the other breach in and use the plastic holders.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah EB98 I saw on the Knight sight To shoot Black Horn Powder you must use the open 209 Breech System. I looked at LHR and it only comes in black and I want stainless. I checked the Thompson Pro Hunter FX but you have to do a trigger job on the Encores to get them to shoot really good groups. Been there and done that , I was pushed towards Knights because they Are American made and all parts machined not cast . I want that gun but don't want to have wet weather problems. I tried to call Knight 25 times and they put me on hold forever.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My Knight LRH is all stainless.

So far, it shoots clover leafs. The only rifle that I have better is a really high end custom 7mm Wby that is truly a 0.25 MOA gun. This Muzzy is sub MOA and maybe 0.75....need more data. Well, my Anschutz 1712 is also super accurate (same hole at 50 yards) but can we really call a 22 LR a real rifle?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The load given to me was 300g Harverster PT Scorpion gold and 110g BH209 with shotshell primers......WInchester if I remember....anyways, that is what I have. He also told me CCI mag primers work good. If you don't use the beefier magnum or shotsheel primers, I am told to expect hangs with BH209. 777 works just fine. Eventually I'll get my hands on BH209 and that is what I would want if going out west. In NJ, I don't expect needing to go more than 150 yards.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I shoot a knight master hunter disc extreme, got the bare 209 conversion for it so I can shoot black horn. Hunted with it in heavy snow with no issues. The way it seals in any blowback from the breach I am sure it would seal out rain just the same. I wont hesitate to hunt in the rain with it at all

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black Horn You can get it at Cabelas or across the border. I want to shoot the same load that you got. In fact I just ordered those bullets today. I shoot 110 Black Horn out of my Pro Hunter with 250 Barnes with CCI 209 Mag Primers , The Omega shoots the same load with 300 Barnes MZ bullet. I have a CVA Mountain Rifle that shoots the same load also and I never had a hang up with Black Horn yet with any of them. I also ordered the new federal Muzzleloader bullet from Cabelas I has no sabot and cleans bore as it exit the barrel.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hard to find black horn in NJ, from what Ive been told is that Western Powders (company that makes black horn) wont let a sporting goods store just stock there black horn muzzleloader powder, they want them to stock there whole line of powders. With not to many people that reload in NJ and plus the storing restrictions the state mandates on smokeless powders most shops dont bother with it. So either stock up on it when your out at cabelas or order it with a couple guys to split the hazmat fee, The hazmat fee is the same if you order one pound or fifty pounds

·
Registered
350 Posts
Last I checked Wideners had Bh209 available in both 10 once jugs and 5 pounders -- wideners is a mail order reloading supply

Hazmat sucks but if a few of us pool together it wouldn't be very bad -- we share hazmat lots of times on njgun

I'm in zip 08846 and would be in for a few small jugs maybe even a 5 pounder

I did contact that guy about the LRH -- I ended up getting an encore frame instead and setting it up muzzy

I'm in for a hazmat share if we can put it together -- Jer

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
another thing I do with my muzzy loaders is not only do I test and find the most accurate load my guns like. But I also put a load together for my guns with the more common powders and bullets that are readily available at most sporting good stores.

As some of the bullets I shoot can only be bought threw mail order only, That way if I ever find myself out of BlackHorn or low on bullets, I know I can run down to the local sport shop and pick up 777 and more common bullets. Look it up in my load data make a few scope adjustments and im back in business

Came up with this idea a couple years ago after I knocked my open can of blackhorn off my reloading bench and into dogs water dish. Luckily I had a few speed loaders already loaded up, but if I didnt I would of been screwed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.