New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to hone and re-edge a few hunting knives.

Can anyone recommend a product? I'm thinking the ceramic stick style system rather than flat wet stone style.

thanks

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
pm jakesbeard he can steer u in the right direction

·
Registered
334 Posts
KME - hands down.

I know the owner personally...he's a hell of a great guy and a NJ hunter to boot. He'll spend the time on the phone with you to make sure you get what you need. And if you need any help getting your knives sharp, he's just a phone call away.

http://www.kmesharp.com

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
best one i have used is the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker. [up][up][up] Will run you about $50 and well worth the money. Pick yourself up a small strop set up and you will have knives that are SCARY sharp

·
Registered
224 Posts
KME with the diamond stones will sharpen the dullest blade to hair-shaving sharp in minutes. I love mine. About the only complaint I have is you cannot sharpen the small multi-tool blades as the birds mouth blade holder sticks out too far to get good angle.

My 25 year old buck knife is so sharp now its scary.

Pineracer

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. As much as a $600 knife sharpening machine might be a cool toy, it looks like KME is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Used most. They all have their pro's and con's.
The Lansky, KME, Gatco are probably the easiest to get a pretty good edge with.
For straight grind blades, I actually prefer Japanese waterstones in grits up to 6000. Takes some practice, but the capablility to put a scary sharp edge on the blade is there. I use them for kitchen knives, broadheads and some hunting knives.
For convex blades, i use sandpaper over leather with grits from 600 to 2500. I then use honing compound on the strop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
KME Knife Kit. They are a NJ company and customer service is second to none. This system is so easy to use. You can get your knives hair popping sharp in almost no time at all. BTW it can also sharpen 2 blade broadheads. Give KME a call and they can steer you in the right direction with what type of stones you want to use, either natural or diamond stones.
800-561-4339 or www.kmesharp.com

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Used most. They all have their pro's and con's.
The Lansky, KME, Gatco are probably the easiest to get a pretty good edge with.
For straight grind blades, I actually prefer Japanese waterstones in grits up to 6000. Takes some practice, but the capablility to put a scary sharp edge on the blade is there. I use them for kitchen knives, broadheads and some hunting knives.
For convex blades, i use sandpaper over leather with grits from 600 to 2500. I then use honing compound on the strop.
Ditto. My current method for re-edging is a few light passes on the belt sander with 230 or 320 grit (depending on severity of blade chips/irregularities) then I de-burr on a quality sharpening steel. Next is a few passes on the strop with compound. All my blades get hair shaving sharp in under 2 minutes. I use Japanese wet stones from 1000 to 6000 grit for my kitchen knives. I have a ton of knives and have tried every method. It should take no longer than 3 minutes to sharpen the worst, dullest or chipped edge you have.
Most important thing is, a cheap blade that hasn't been hardened/tempered properly will never hold a good edge for long.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
KME - hands down.

I know the owner personally...he's a hell of a great guy and a NJ hunter to boot. He'll spend the time on the phone with you to make sure you get what you need. And if you need any help getting your knives sharp, he's just a phone call away.

http://www.kmesharp.com
Yeah what he said.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Than again if you want to throw out an extra $530- that T7 is impressive.:)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
KME will leave the blade razor sharp u can shave with it,, or you can get the yuppie over priced version from other companies, both will get the exact same end result,

how long the knife stays sharp has nothing to do with the sharpener, has to do with the steel on the blade and how youre using it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts