New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted before that I like to use Kirschners Trailmaker when hunting bucks. Last week I gave credit to JerseyHunter for turning me on to Kirschners Curiosity for does. I used it with the drag rag and hung it last Saturday, the doe came in on the drag line and I tagged out at about 6:40am. This afternoon using Trailmaker, I had a 5pt come from behind and pass by my stand, he made a turn, crossed my drag line about 50 yards out, turned around and followed it right back to my stand. He was under my stand circling for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. After the first 5 I started to take these pictures with the cell phone. The deer never picked it's head up even when the flash on my cell phone was going off. Pics are from 360 degrees. Back out with the Trailmaker again tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Who sells this?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm gonna check Dick's this weekend...Thanks

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Woj.
I'd rather be hunting than playing with photobucket.
Yep, my early season is Trebark. Wish they still made it.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
I used it with some sucess in Pa. over the years but not in a while I stoped using scents past few years as a drag.

I'll freashen scraps but not drag anymore. 2 many bad experiances with drags deer following me before I got in the stand.

The last deer was a 10 and folloed me and I was 1/2 up the tree when he busted me. Stoped draging after that.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better to have seen and lost then to never have seen at all...

My thought is if it works use it. Nothing works 100% of the time. Maybe that 10 pt would have never crossed your path anyway if you weren't scenting. Especially if he followed from a ways out.

I've had that happen too. More successes than losses so, I'll stick with it.

My hunting partner used Curiosity this morning and got his doe. We'll both be using Trailmaker this afternoon. He thanks you too JerseyHunter.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Anybody use Anise oil as a curiosity scent? I've had success with it... it also brings fox in.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i used it this morning for the first time because i heard about it on here too had a doe on a string come an hour after i got set up she walked the same way i came in only problem she wouldnt come out of the thick stuff i walked through to get to my stand ...i say it WORKS

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WT, I'm trying an anise oil scent now. I think it's called Buck Stop. One day I think it was doing the job. Data is inconclusive so far.

What did you use and have work 11-Ptr?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Guys

I've never used much scent, but want to give it a try. Do any of you guys have any tips for draggin, do I just put some on a rag on a string and walk?

·
Registered
884 Posts
i have heard that you should start your drag at your stand and walk away this way the scent is stongest at you stand and if the deer do pick up the scent and follow it will get stronger as they get closer and continue on the path any one ever try this theory out just wondering

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
i was wondering the same thing. if a deer crosses the drag and decides to follow, do they follow the trail away from your stand too?

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i used the curiosity scent ....i watched her walk in from the field right on the same path i walked in on and right through the thick stuff i walked through she just wouldnt leave the cover...i didnt have a rag so i poured some on the top of my boots every 50 yrds because the ground cover was wet...she had nose about 12 inches off the ground the whole time..i give it a thumbs up

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice 11Ptr. That's how it goes. Try the drag rag.You'll use a lot less of it. Maybe the scent was lost or too concentrated when you stopped and squirted on your boot? even with the drag I sometimes put some on the top and side of my boots too.
Good luck next time out.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Young deer always follow..If your in an area where there arent many guys using scents, they work. Get into a spot where everyone has something out, and your better off with nothing...

Tinks makes similiar stuff...forget the name. Ive had no luck with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts