New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had good luck with 2 Kimbers i have a 9mm and a 45 that work flawlessly
My 10 mm is beautiful , wont feed a single round. They say shoot them they will break in .
I had to slide the rounds in one at a time by hand. You cannot put a mag in and let it slide forward .
You cannot push it forward the rounds jam while trying to enter the chamber. ( at like a steep angle)
I tried 4 different types of ammo. Hardened lead , full metal jacketed, hollow points and a different type of Hardened lead with a coating on it. All factory new ammo. It will not cycle after you put one in the chamber manually and put mag in and fire. It will not chamber a round when you push the slide forward slowly nor hitting the release and letting it fly.
I know the smart thing is send back to Kimber ( new gun just purchased ) . Is there anyone in central/south NJ that you can recommend to look at it. I would be happy to pay to make sure it works properly . Gun is very accurate and easy to hit steel with but bought for a hog hunt and that is not happening as a single shot!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Most likely mag. Might be feed ramp. If mag change doesn't work, send it back.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still waiting for mags. I looked at it last night and noticed the bullet on the mag is sticking up less than half way towards the feed ramp. It would appear you would need a mag that sits a little higher to avoid the 3 point lock up. Will see where the wilson combat mags sit. feed ramp looks nicely finished the only other thing could be edges on the chamber??

·
Registered
458 Posts
Since you have Kimbers in other calibers how do the other loaded mags look when you compare them?

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not think to look at the others. I tried two new Wilson Combat mags and same exact three point jam.
It actually puts a small dent in the cases on the edge of the chamber . I am going to have to send it back i guess not happy

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pintail no offense but i do not like Glocks. I owned a couple and sold them. Yes more dependable!!
I will find a decent gunsmith and get it fixed. I love the look and feel of the Kimbers. I have three this is the only one i ever had an issue with

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I tried 3 gunsmiths and the best was 10-12 weeks. I am going to check extractor tension . too much tension would cause failure to feed , too little failure to extract I think i can figure it out

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 10 mm is beautiful , wont feed a single round. They say shoot them they will break in .
I had to slide the rounds in one at a time by hand. You cannot put a mag in and let it slide forward .
You cannot push it forward the rounds jam while trying to enter the chamber. ( at like a steep angle)
I tried 4 different types of ammo. Hardened lead , full metal jacketed, hollow points and a different type of Hardened lead with a coating on it. All factory new ammo. It will not cycle after you put one in the chamber manually and put mag in and fire. It will not chamber a round when you push the slide forward slowly nor hitting the release and letting it fly.
I know the smart thing is send back to Kimber ( new gun just purchased ) . Is there anyone in central/south NJ that you can recommend to look at it. I would be happy to pay to make sure it works properly . Gun is very accurate and easy to hit steel with but bought for a hog hunt and that is not happening as a single shot!
I have had the same problem with my Springfield 1911 in 10mm.
For some reason, it turns out the magazines have a slightly different angle/feed angle and once I changed the mag it worked better, but still had to break it in after a few hundred rounds mm

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Send it back! If you let another work on it, void warranty!. I had a problem with a 1911, sent it back, they sent me a new one! PROBLEM!!! New serial # =another permit blown and 30 days!!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
NEVER had a problem with my 38 Supers! And ammo is a hellava lot cheaper.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The extractor was as tight as a ducks ass. Bent the extractor and it feeds ammo ! i tried two types of ammo one fed perfect the other about 50% will try at the range. I don't think i loosened it enough but i figure it will loosen up with shooting.
I was nervous so i took it out about ten times straightening a little at a time

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand your situation and I have been there many times with new guns and pistols are the worst. I even worked with a custom gun out of S&W, a great company and I had one that was a problem. The custom shop take their factory pistols and put them in the custom shop where they hone them down to exact tolerances. My point is this the regular pistols are manufactured in bulk. The tolerances are in a window of acceptable level for each piece. When they are assembled they are very tight. They go out with that level of quality control. When you have a pistol with one part at its high tolerances, and a adjacent part at its lowest level but in tolerance you have the problem that you are speaking of. The companies let the consumer be that quality treated at that point. If you don't call the manufactured or the seller they are feeling like it must have been ok. If you call them they will take it in and hone down or replace the problem component and send it back to you. It will never smooth out by its self. The metal is to hard.
I would get in contact with the seller or MFG and get it to them, you are now a quality Technician, wear the hat proudly, and send it back.
When I was there I was even able to shoot at their indoor range and and try multiple Smith and Wesson Guns.
(By the way they were milling down Kimber pistols at the time I was there also, but I don't know the lever of there responsory toward the final product. )
Greg Merriam [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts