New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I kicked a big one up in Black River WMA this past weekend. It was a bruiser. Bagged a few squirrels btw.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Found a spot in Denville that always had them. Right off Rt 46N near the river. People really guard their wood [no swearing please] spots as they generally return each year. They like marshy areas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wood [no swearing please] are easy to find. Stand in any field at dusk and look up. You will be amazed at how many are flying around. We would get a couple at the end of the day after pheasant and quail hunting. Tough bird to shoot as they swerve around as they fly.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
kicked up a few of them on sat in my woods, middlesex county. last year i was scouting six mile run in somerset after the season and they were all over the place, every 100 yards we would kick up a group. too bad they dont let you hunt with guns there, what are my chances of hitting a wood [no swearing please] with my recurve??? i think pretty good ha ha

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i see them sometimes in the morning outside my work,as they migrate they hit buildings. most are dead,but i do find some birds still alive.[sad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I missed one at Flatbrook the other week. But over the years have taken a couple. I never looked for them. Took them hunting squirrel. Always got the HIP # just in case.

One year I found a dead one on a window sill at Rutgers-Newark. Now there was a strange place to see one.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I went for a hike this afternoon in the Rockaway River WMA... I kicked up a woodcock.
When I was at the range with Matty, I told him that area looked good for both grouse and woodcock. I should checked that place out. Maybe next week.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I don't think they consider them waterfowl. But I will have to look further into that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts