New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I did not have a gun. Poor little guy. I saw one (just one) last year too when I was walking in one morning...scared the crap out of me.

I just posted the pictures in case people forget what they look like. Rare.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I kicked a big one up in Black River WMA this past weekend. It was a bruiser. Bagged a few squirrels btw.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
you guys wanna hear something werid??? one time my dad and i at home depot and there was a dead wood [no swearing please] in one of the christmas trees.[confused]

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Found a spot in Denville that always had them. Right off Rt 46N near the river. People really guard their wood [no swearing please] spots as they generally return each year. They like marshy areas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wood [no swearing please] are easy to find. Stand in any field at dusk and look up. You will be amazed at how many are flying around. We would get a couple at the end of the day after pheasant and quail hunting. Tough bird to shoot as they swerve around as they fly.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
kicked up a few of them on sat in my woods, middlesex county. last year i was scouting six mile run in somerset after the season and they were all over the place, every 100 yards we would kick up a group. too bad they dont let you hunt with guns there, what are my chances of hitting a wood [no swearing please] with my recurve??? i think pretty good ha ha

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i see them sometimes in the morning outside my work,as they migrate they hit buildings. most are dead,but i do find some birds still alive.[sad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I missed one at Flatbrook the other week. But over the years have taken a couple. I never looked for them. Took them hunting squirrel. Always got the HIP # just in case.

One year I found a dead one on a window sill at Rutgers-Newark. Now there was a strange place to see one.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I went for a hike this afternoon in the Rockaway River WMA... I kicked up a woodcock.
When I was at the range with Matty, I told him that area looked good for both grouse and woodcock. I should checked that place out. Maybe next week.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I don't think they consider them waterfowl. But I will have to look further into that.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
i used to see alot of them at pequest.
One of my Drahthaars pointed one last year at Pequest. But it was the week after it closed. Dog was not amused that I flushed it without shooting at it. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts