New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Story: Frst time I hunted the stand this year but had been baiting and in the past week, started to hit some scrapes around my stand with a buck scent. This was driving a buck crazy as he would re open the scrapes after I hit them.

Got in the tree at 4 pm and with in 20 minutes I had a mother and 2 does underneith me. The two little ones ate for a bit then another doe came in to the corn. At 4:35 picked up a deer coming off a up a small rise onto the rise I was baiting. As he came up I could see he was highracked, and outside his ears - shooting time!.

I came within about 30 yards and stood behind come canapy. He was cupping and smelling the doe up on the bait for a good 20 minutes without anyway for me to shoot. He finally moved closer towards me- now within 20 yards and made a scrape - still no shot as I had 1 tree between the two of us. He stood there for 5 more minutes! Finally he turned and started to walk across the front of my - about 18 yards.

I came to full draw - he paused and whacked him. Much to my suprised - he dropped on the spot! I hit him above the shoulder angling down as I am up 24ft in this stand - but just caught the bottom of the spine. I pulled another arrow - waited for a him to calm for a second and hit him again behind the leg to finish things off. It was easily a great nerve racking 30 minutes watching this deer and thinking if I would get the shot - or watch him walk off.

Final item - within 5 minutes of me shooting the deer - 2 guys on quads came barreling through the woods about 100 yards away on an oposite hill. % minutes later and this would have been a story about the deer I saw and didn't get - as they say- somethings are meant to be.

Onward to the RUT!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Thats a bruiser.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Nice Deer[up]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts