New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work inside an enclosure here at Picatinny. I decided since I had time for a little break I would take a drive around to see whats up.
Man did I see a ton of deer but where they spooky. Most times if the deer are up on the road the would take a jump and just look at you as you drove past. Today the were bolting away as i got within 75 to 100 yards. and not stopping for anything. its almost like after the 6 day fire arm season. The guys drive the heck out of the place and then I have seen the deer this spooking but not now. I wonder why they are on such an alert? maybe the wind has em spooked. Well anyway its the most deer I've seen up here in a while.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
It is hard to get the special permit unless you work there or are in the military there.

Scrubby can you bring a guest? I volunteer.

Check out the fenceline between the military property and the Rockaway River WMA. If there is an easier than most place for the deer to cross set up your treestand there.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could take a guest. I can only take imediate family members. Son,daughter or wife. I couldnt even get my dad in. You have to be either active or retired military, current or retired department of defense employee. or a medal of honor recipiant.Contractors on post cant even hunt here.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Ian it doesnt unfortunatly.. But if its any consoltaion You can now play golf as a veteran...
I am not retired, but I am a veteran, does this count?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
No Ian it doesnt unfortunatly.. But if its any consoltaion You can now play golf as a veteran...
Makes sense, you can take bullets, be sent miles from your family and shoot at our enemy but don't get any ideas of hunting deer at the bases.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My cousin Was Army special forces, but then he did 3 tour in Iraqi and got shot once, and hit with bomb scrappnel the other time, so he decided that he wanted out, just because he didnt want to go back there again. He really didnt want to leave but he had like a 99% chance of going back for a 4 trip!!!

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah this sucks!!! I will just borrow my cousins 2 PURPLE HEARTS!!!
Those wont even get you in you need to have earned the medal of honor.. It sucks that vets cant get in..I'm a vet and if I didnt have my job here I would be on the outside looking in myself.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The husband of a woman that used to work for me is a Major there (probably a Lt Col. by now). I tried that angle with no luck. I didn't push it real hard, but I think has rank may have gotten be in.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
: 26 Oct 2005 9:03 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 659
Quote:

Makes sense, you can take bullets, be sent miles from your family and shoot at our enemy but don't get any ideas of hunting deer at the bases.
As a decorated Vietnam veteran I disagree with your comment.

The reason the arsonal has tight security is because there is weapons development and testing. Most jobs there require a security clearance. They don't want a bunch of jamokes running around the place then giving reports to our enemies.

It is also a dangerous place. There are areas that are unsafe to go in due to unexploded ordinance or other hazards. They want to only have people there that are totally commited to follow the guidlines by employment contract or UCMJ about where you are allowed to go.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The reason the arsonal has tight security is because there is weapons development and testing. Most jobs there require a security clearance. They don't want a bunch of jamokes running around the place then giving reports to our enemies.
Thank you for your service to this country during Vietnam.

Don't take me the wrong way but the first group of people I would want on the property were veterans. I can't think of a more dedicated loyal group of citizens, that can respect this country more than many people understand.

An old college friend of mine works there and designs various ordinances and invites me every year to the military day they have. They drive the tanks around and test ordinance and stuff. I know it has its dangerous places but to me the first group of people that I would qualify would be veterans.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
scrubby - I wish I could hunt in Picatinny... there are deer in there... just gotta find them. Took me 2 years of scouting to find them in the Rockaway River WMA.

After it snows... go look around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts