New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first year actually going hunting. I have owned a Horton 150lb crossbow for a couple of years but never shot anything but paper.. I know that bow is fine for anything within thirty yards. Iam going to be hunting out of a tree stand. I was wondering what the best scents for attracting the deer. Also the best ways to deploy and use them. Anyone willing to help me out with what works best for you, or hasn't worked. I would greatly appreciate any advice on any topic that you might think would help a beginner.. Thank you

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As i am new here also and found these guys on here are very helpful and knowledgeable. Hope the best.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome to the dark side! Scents aside, main issue is your own. Scent control is key. Wash hunting clothes with scent killer and spray with scent killer before entering the woods each time. As for actual scents themselves, I prefer Tinks #69 applied to a small cloth that I drag behind me on my walk in. I always believe less is more in most things in life so I tend to do the same here. Few drops is all I use and it seems to work fine for me. Good luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
Baiting wise I use sweet oats (horse feed) and corn, I keep my clothes and gear in a tub with oats to control my own scent. Good luck and stay safe make sure someone knows where you are in the woods, I always text my gps coordinates to my dad.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I personally prefer no scents at all. I use striclty scent elimination products only and paying great attention to keep your human scent as low as possible.Store your clothes in a scent free bag or tote. Before entering the woods and putting on your clothing , I spray each piece of clothing and equipment too. Spray your boots real good especially the bottoms.
As far as attractants, I never use them. In my opinion you are putting a foriegn odor into the air and you are automatically triggering the deers first line of defense.
They have already smelled it. Leave the gimmicks home

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
As stated above...........the most important scent is your own. Wash clothes in unscented detergents, wash yourself with unscented soaps, and store clothes in scent free containers. I prefer to change into hunting clothes when I park my vehicle and then change into camo. Spray your clothes down too. If you choose to use a deer scent, use estrus during the rut (10/28-11/14....approx.) do not use outside those dates here in NJ or run the risk of spooking deer. IMO........the BEST SCENT S VS-1 Estrus scent. I have killed several deer using it. It's expensive though ($50.00). Good luck.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
As already stated a couple of times ,The hunter being scent free as possible is most important . I use signal 11 lures ,he has lures for all different times of the season. You can call them he will call you back and explain how and when to use. Also corn is your best friend too. Xbow and corn as bait is deadly. But nothing will work if they smell you. Good Luck

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
If you are just starting hunting I suggest you focus on being scent free :) I know it may seem like you need to use scents to attract deer, etc etc... they sell the stuff in stores so that means you must buy it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I personally prefer no scents at all. I use striclty scent elimination products only and paying great attention to keep your human scent as low as possible.Store your clothes in a scent free bag or tote. Before entering the woods and putting on your clothing , I spray each piece of clothing and equipment too. Spray your boots real good especially the bottoms.
As far as attractants, I never use them. In my opinion you are putting a foriegn odor into the air and you are automatically triggering the deers first line of defense.
This, excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Bingo! Play the wind too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts