New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience thus far, along with some questions. Got a CVA Wolf for Christmas, with a factory installed (at least I thought) scope on it. I had to go to 3 different places to get my licensing, powerbelts, and powder pellets. I'm using what CVA recommended in their youtube video- 300 grain powerbelts with IMR White Hot Pellets, 100 grain loads a shot.

A buddy and I took it out this past Sunday to sight it in on some private property, and when I'm telling you we were barely at 50 yards, we were more like on the top end of 45. Put up some political posters and took aim. Shot #1 was a foot low, maybe a tad more, but dead center. went up 16 clicks, which I believe translated to 8 inches. Still a tad low. Took a third shot, almost dead on, but that's still at 50 yards, so I know the rule of thumb for sighting in a muzzleloader is that you wanna be dead on at 100, and about 2.5 in high at 50, so I put it up another 5 clicks. That being said, for anyone viewing this thread, IDFK what is going on at the Konus Factory, and if you do get one of these, don't count on the scope being perfectly factory sighted.

Q: I'm gonna head out again soon most likely to get a more accurate sighting-in, but I did notice (I'm assuming- if someone could confirm/deny that would help) that my third and fourth shots were drifting left a little bit- is that due to the fouling in the barrel?

Also, for anyone who saw the title and was interested, I love the feel of the gun, and its ease of use. It's a break-action in-line that, when used with pellets, can probably take an experienced muzzleloader shooter about 30-45 seconds to shoot if they have stuff at the ready. Just drop in two pellets, ram down a lubed up bullet, stick the primer in, and you're good to go. What's better is that this thing is a pinch to clean. The breech plug is unscrewable by hand and comes out easy, and the barrel is attached to the stock by a takedown screw. Take that and the ramrod out, break the rifle, pull the barrel back towards you and the barrel slips out clean! If need be you can take out the 3-piece firing pin assembly to oil them up, but other than that you're pretty good.

One final question to anybody experienced in the in-line department:

Q: Their video recommends using their Foaming Barrel Blaster Solvent, their rust preventive patches, and oil for afterward. I know a marketing ploy when I see one. Is the foaming stuff necessary do you think? After my sighting trip, I went back to my friend's house and I fell in love with that FrogLube stuff- the solvent and the lube seem to be a real safe bet. When I'm putting the stuff away at the end of the season, my plan is as follows- hot soap and water on the heated barrel to get rid of the majority of stuff, FrogLube solvent afterward, finished off with a nice coating of froglube oil. That sound like a good plan?

Thank you for reading this novel btw. Happy New Year!

PS: OH! AND last edit. Final Question.

CVA sells the rifle with a breech plug "intended" to work with pelletized powder, but they also sell another they say works better with loose.

These are the two versions. Will they make a difference?
P4222831.JPG

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I have two Wolfs both shoot TC 240 grain XTP's with 100 grains Pyrodex pellets.. I love the guns they are both accurate and kill Deer.. Easy to clean what else can you ask for. I bought two when they were on sale I will give them to my Daughters when they Old enough to get there Gun License I will probably just buy a Third one when its time.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I shoot 295 powerbelts with 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and it's extremely accurate at 100 yds. The breech plug is God sent

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Great gun! good shooter. The flat breech plug is for pellets, the concave is for loose powder. I like loose powder, but a lot of guys like the ease of pellets.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Love my wolf

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i shoot the flat breech plug with loose powder.
shots great.
i do question you lubing Powerbelts. you do not have to.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have same set up as you,only thing to remember with the white hots is they clog up the gun quick, so I like to run a patch down every 3 shots

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, Thanks for all the useful info and reassurance. Couple things I wanna respond to.

4 clicks is 1" at 100 yds. 8 clicks is 1" at 50 yds
I'm an idiot. Still worked out though. Thanks lol I'll keep that in mind.
Why are you lubing powerbelts?
I just want to ensure as much consistency as possible on each shot. I use a very small fingertip full of crisco just to get a good coating. Makes ramming it easier too.
I shoot 295 powerbelts with 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and it's extremely accurate at 100 yds. The breech plug is God sent
I cannot disagree. Love that thing already.
Factory installed is just bore sighted just put s u on paper,
What do you mean by S U ?
I have same set up as you,only thing to remember with the white hots is they clog up the gun quick, so I like to run a patch down every 3 shots
I noticed that after I took the gun apart. Why is that, do you think? The brand claims to be one of the cleanest burning powders out there. Am I ramming the bullet down too hard and sort of crushing the pellets?

Lastly, I was kinda looking for more info on whether or not the loose powder breach plug is even worth the purchase. I figured with 209 shotshell primers there should be no issue ensuring a thorough ignition of the powder. Would any of you guys figure that the Buckhorn plug (right one in my picture) does a better job of this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts