New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get my Buck! Just got settled in and I though damn, sunrise is 7:27, WTF am I up here already for? LOL! Got some code blue scattered about, c'mon big boy! Haha

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
If you're texting when it's dark, even though you're quiet, your phone is probably lighting up your face and giving away your position. You can't see them, but don't give them any opportunity to see you. Best of luck to you !!!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Ms.Grit is right no phone until sun comes up .... It's the longest hour of my sit!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip on the phone. Last time I hunted this spot in the morning they didn't come through till around 9. I think they're hitting a corn field that's a bit of hike away. Right now I've got a single deer that decided to lay down 50 yards from me. But it looks small and it's by itself. Wonder if that's a little button buck. He's just content laying down. Which sucks, cuz I gotta piss real bad lol.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Trust me, unless you're in a blind where you can get away with a bit more, if you're not really quiet and really still, the big ole smart ones will see you and be outta there and you will never have even known it.

Reactions: 319onthehoof

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta get some warmer deer hunting clothes. It's not really cold out but I'm shivering for last hour lol. Little deer still bedded down. Nothing moving....and now here comes rain.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I gotta get some warmer deer hunting clothes. It's not really cold out but I'm shivering for last hour lol. Little deer still bedded down. Nothing moving....and now here comes rain.
If you're shivering, how would you be able to hold your pin steady to take a shot on that monster you are after?

You don't necessarily need warmer deer hunting clothes, just warmer base layers for underneath your deer hunting clothes and use lofty layers to help hold in the heat. I get cold very easily and usually look like a cross between the Michelin Tire Man and the Pillsbury Dough Boy because of the layers underneath my hunting clothing, and they could be any colors from any store and don't have to be expensive name brands either. Also, get some of the Hot Hands and keep them in your hunting pack. They can be invaluable when it gets colder than you anticipate.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gave it till 11 and called it quits. Never saw anything but that little guy. In fact, he bed down 15mins before the rain started....hmmmm. Wonder if the weather kept activity to a minimum today. That little guy didn't even get up when I climbed down my stand and snuck out. Oh well, I'll try it again tomorrow and plan for all day sit. Will dress a bit warmer.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
grits right on the clothes, although if you have the coin, gear built specifically for what you are doing works very well, I have some under armor layers as well as some veryyy affordable cabelas layering garments, that with my fleece jacket and pants im good to go, and there is no substitute for a good pair of socks and extra room in your boots for warmth, tight boots will numb your toes very quickly.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
another simple cheap piece of gear to leave in your pack is a fleece neck muffler. I can get away wearing less clothes by simply sliding that under a warm hat. So many times I sat there and got chilly, pulled that out and slipped it on and it warmed me right up.
keep the feet, hands, head and neck warm, you don't need as much on the body and legs as you think...

Reactions: Ms Grit
1 - 16 of 16 Posts