New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a smoker, and im looking to smoke some venison this weekend. i also have some cod, and a few pheasant breasts id like to try. any tips or suggestions?

about how long does meat take to cook when its smoked?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Venison and pheasant don't contain much fat, so smoking them will be very difficult for a beginner.

Start with a few pork shoulders, move your way in to ribs, and then work a few briskets. Then you might be ready for the more difficult cuts like one with little of no fat, such as, venison. Meat that contain little or no fat need to be brined or marinaded such that the meat doesn't turn to leather.

Do a few of the above buts to understand your hot and cold spots, workability, lasting power of the smoke within the chamber. And when you do, smoked meats are awesome!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I just bought an electric smoker and my first venison roast (approx 3lb) took 5 1/2 hours to do, smoked over apple wood, came out awesome. First chicken took six hours, skin is rubbery. Also you may want to play around with different rubs.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Rdfhunter, the smoker I bought had no temp controls, I believe it was a Brinkman, real cheap modell about 100 dollars. I figure before I invested I would try smoking alittle. The pamphlet I got with smoker gives you an estimate for amount of cooking time, probably got lucky first time around with the venison.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Now your talking. I use a home made version of that. I do ribs at 250F in mine. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour with sauce brushed on and no foil. My cooking drum is bigger and my thermometer is a little far from the meat so I need to run a little hotter. You will have to play with the time and temp to get a feel for the best flavor. Also I smoked pork ribs multiple times before for moving to other cuts to get a feel for it. I find the foil works well because without it the outside of the meat gets too black.

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe njh should have new contest. Spring or summer get together. Everyone brings there smoker and we have a contest. Since I don't know what I'm doing, ill bring the beer. We can have a fish, brisket, ribs, and venison contest.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I USE THE SAME ONE..HERE'S WHAT I DID..I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS KEEPING THE TEMP UP IN THE FOOD SIDE, SO I WENT TO RADIO SHACK AND BOUGHT A COMPUTER FAN AND A 12 VOLT BATTERY AND HAD IT BLOWING IN ON THE WOOD AND COALS..KEPT THE TEMP MUCH BETTER.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Man I got some great memories with that same smoker! I did a ton of butts and ribs on it. Chunks of oak and wet hickory are the ticket! Enjoy and get started on it so you can get to know how to keep that temp [up]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I can't wait till I have a free weekend and can do some smoking, I just picked mine up last year and am still learning, but it's a lot of fun. Check out the smoking meats website, they also have a forum where you can talk to guys and get tips. I just signed up for the newsletter and will be signing up for the forum soon. I did a couple batches of ribs last year and they came out great, I also did some wings and they were great as well. This year I want to do a pork shoulder and do pulled pork.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.