New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, I tried my hand at bow fishing last year, never got anything or saw much but still had fun.
I was in the south branch last year, I think my problem was I started late (June) and also I didnt know were to go or what to look for.

So when fishing in a river like south branch or Delaware with so much water to cover where should I concentrate my attention and or look for?

Also I was thinking of trying Spruce Run/Round Valley. In a lake what should I look for? I do all my fishing by wading or from shore, im sure this doesnt make it easy ether but its what I got.

Any help would be appreciated, im not looking for you to tell me your secrete spot (unless you want to) im just looking for some general info as to were to look.

Also I was using a Mathews Genesis Bow 20# max. Is this too light should I get a heavier bow? Can I use my hunting bow 60#? Or should I look into a cheap recurve?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
using a Mathews Genesis Bow 20# max. Is this too light should I get a heavier bow?
Yes A heavier poundage is a must 1st priority for you now.Water is like rock you'll lose alot of energy soon as the arrow hits it.Tha deepest I ever shot a fish was 4 feet.Ive'd richocheted arrows off the head of carp that were 2 ft down,shooting 55#s.Second priority is to practice by shooting at something in the water I tie a fishin bank seeker to one of those cheap aluminum pans you get from the pizzeria dinners.Start out small throw it out in front of you like 30 ft in 2ft a water now shoot about 4 ft in front of it see the deception like your arrow bent? Thats light fracture.Won't take long you'll be nailin it.Yes off banks in june is too late there as spooky as a trout late april all of may you stand a better chance try to hide yourself if possible a tree a blind etc. and you are using polarized glasses right?good luck. http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/bowfishing/gettingstarted/

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I use my hunting bow? Its a 60# compound, I know compounds are not the best but would it work for this, until I can find a cheap recurve. What poundage would you recommend for me to look for in a recurve?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
absolutely you can use your compound,i don't know what your set up is but normally its ouy of your stabilizer hole.You can buy or adapt a fishin reel seat to start out cheap with i think if they still make that big ole zebco808 that'll keep you under a $100 top of the line you can get into $200 to $400 the arrow tip with the wire barb will keep the cost down but any fish over 4- 6 lbs they reverse bend then you need the heavy duty ones.I have a hard time with holding an anchor on a recurve my draw length is 31 1/2 most recurves are 28 " at 55" id be stackin another 20's so ive always been ainstinctive,bare finger snap shooter start out that way you can hit a squirrel in flight. So the advantage of the recurve is simplicity and speed most opportunities are a split sec. speciaally the biggin's they sound fast if they see you! Zebco 808 Bowfisher Spincast Reel - Walmart.com use 100" dacro they still make that? braid maybe expencive though an knot easy impossible to unknot,lol and little fishin swivels http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...=SBC;MMcat104791680;cat104693580;cat104232780

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
You have better chance in the smaller creeks and ponds that hold carp, the bigger the water is the harder it is to shoot from shore unless you find a weed patch or creek mouth the fish are stacked up in.

You can definitely use your hunting bow it will definitely work but it is hard on the bow. Shooting a lot of shoots, mud, sand and fish slime on the cables and cams. I would look around for a old used bow and set it up. A like around 40#s but heavier wouldn't be a bad thing from shore.

If your free during the week I get out of work around 11 and will be shooting spruce run and the Delaware alot starting at midnight for a few hours starting in May or so. Hopefully sooner if I can get the lights and light rail on the boat. I have three bow fishing bows you can try and see what you like when your ready to buy a true bowfishing bow. I have a pse wave, darton aqua force, and an onieda osprey. All feel differently but are all great bows.

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
I have bowfished with my recurve. Got a couple but mainly use my compound. Come april pm me and i can take you to a couple spots. No boats needed where i go and i do bowfish the south branch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts