New Jersey Hunters banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got my first deer on my property on opening day. He wasn't the largest on my cam but I'm not a size queen. Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer. 30 yard shot from 20 feet up, sitting down with no stabilization assist. Double lunged a 3 pointer with my crossbow at 8:15 am. He made it 30 feet before expiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, yea I didn't have it taxi'd since he was a little guy but I boiled the head to make a custom skull mount with a hand carved wood mount backer (which I haven't done yet) to memorialize the first of many hunts I will have on my property for years to come. I felt the first one on my land needed to be mounted in some way or another.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Congrats!! I bought six acres in Hardwick October 2013 It has served me well the last three years. Its great knowing you can just walk onto your property go up in your stand dont worry about dragging stands in or if anyone is going to be setup next to you!! great feeling. I butt up to a wildlife sanctuary and have wma across the road behind A house with a couple of acres. half my property is woods half swamp!! Good luck!! lots of good times ahead!!!

IMG_0028.jpg IMG_0018.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I bought a fixer upper but it had land, and the back of my lot is wetlands and is owned by the NJDEP so it will never be built on. I researched the heck out of it before purchasing Bc I plan on hunting it till I expire. I got tired of hunting public land. I have a crap ton of work to update the house but I was a carpenter before I became an engineer. That was my selling point to the little lady. I get what I want and she bankrupts me by making me fix the house the way she wants it haha

·
Registered
863 Posts
HAHA!! My old lady could care less about my land! shes a city girl. Waiting for me to buy her a shore house!! I told her first comes my land then yours!!! at least its something I can leave my 3 kids. 2 acres each!!! I want to put a cabin on it someday!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
We're already next to the shore as well just not on the water so we killed 2 birds with one stone. My old lady is Filipino they love the water their island people so I was in the same boat as you. Not many places you can get water access and land anymore were 3 minutes from the Barnegat bay.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Got this guy last night a little after 6 pm. Waited for about 10-15 minutes to get a non quartering towards me shot but was running out of light. Had to take the quartering towards me shot from 30 yards which I don't like to do but it worked out. Took the shot he ran in a bit of a circle for about 100 yards all confused and collapsed 20 yards from where he was hit. Was pretty happy I didn't have to track him and he expired quickly which I was also happy with. The property doesn't have monsters but for a quick sit after work I'll take it. Was able to process him and catch the 10th inning of the World Series last night. All in all a pretty good day.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks. He must of ripped the throat somewhere with the bolt in him , I was pulling pieces of corn out of its shoulder when I processed him. The bolt probably tore him all up as he ran because I found the broadhead with a 2 inch piece of the bolt and another 3 inch piece of the bolt near the shoulder, I am assuming the rest of the bolt snapped off when it was running in circles. Never had that happen before with the corn, I guess there's a first time for everything. One more for the year and the freezer will be full. I've got three this year and have only been in a stand for 12 hours this year. I think it's taken longer to process than to hunt them.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts