New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my deposit on a English Pointer Pup 2 weeks ago. Man I can't wait to get the Pup and start traing her. This is my first pup since I lost my GSP back in 2001. Next year will be a great year for bird hunting. Watch out Grouse here we come! :)

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patients and kindness is the key to training a good bird dog. My GSP past away at the young age of 4 from Addison's Disease. I worked with her every day and never treated her with anything less then love and respect.

I find the nicer you are to them during the training the better the response you will get from the dog. :D

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I had a bird dog .I just have a big turd dog that sleeps all day.. Good luck with her
Man there is nothing better then hunting over a dog. They make great companions in the woods very nice when you have know one to go with. After she is trained maybe we can get together and do some hunting.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hunting dogs definately add another element to small game hunting. My grandfather bred beagles so I grew up hunting with dogs. We just retired Ginger and Cocoa last year :( and idk when the next dogs will come into play.

Hunting dogs offer you one thing that other hunting companions never will. They dont get mad or laugh at you when you miss. Its quite a pleasure watching a dog go full boar for hours after every rabbit and bird on the property and its even more pleasurable when you get the bird or rabbit and the dogs know their job was well done.

Be sure to always carry treats in your pocket, its adds a little incentive for the dog. I dont know about pointers but i can tell you from experience that rabbit dogs will routinely run deer. Just be patient with them and they will learn. Best of luck, and good hunting for you and your dog

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
hkdonfishn welcome to the wonderful world of hunting over dogs. I own a Springer Spaniel that I trained myself. He's 11 years old and I have hunted over him for the last 10 years. Other than him having a hard mouth I have no complaints. In his best year he put up 106 pheasant.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Congratulations on your newest family member. I was away on vacation last week and I missed my pup more than anything. I highly recommend getting affiliated with some type of field trial group. Even if you don't actually pursue the competition end of it the tips and tactics are worth the enrollment in training clinics. I have started my pup along in www.navhda.com and it is definetly paying off. Here's a picture of my Vizsla.... His name is Hubert

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My hunting buddy just got an english pointer. It is great seeing a puppy go on point. We plan to take her out this fall so I can't wait. I used to have a golden retriever. I had more fun watching her go "birdy" and flushing birds than actually shooting them.

Good Luck with your dog!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Ven.,
I am starting to call breeders for information. I lost the name and number of the breeder you used. Also, if you know of other breeders from going to trials please forward them too. I hope to get one in the fall. I know, I'll miss hunting season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts