New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm in Zone 10 and with a a month and change to guy until the Fall Hunt is on:
Fall Bow:
First deer must be antlerless: Sept. 12-Oct. 2, 2009
First deer may be antlered or antlerless: Oct. 3-30, 2009
Season bag limit is unlimited antlerless deer and ONE antlered deer

What should my initial steps be to ensure some successful hunts? The first property is 7 acres with a stream and two fields that lead down to the stream. The second property is 3 wooded acres. Obviously to scout, but I've never scouted before. If anyone could chime in with some helpful hints and/or tips, that would be much appreciated. I do plan on getting a stand or two and I'll probably throw out some corn and/or apples.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Walk the properties and get to know them like the back or your hand, 7 and 3 acre lots are fairly small so you should be able to cover them fairly quickly. Find out what they use the property for (travel, food, bedding) and get to know the surrounding properties too. Spends some time obeserving the deer and put a trail cam or two out for when you can't be there. Learn to pattern the deer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ideally you'd be able to locate some deer trails running through the property. trails likely lead from bedding areas to feeding areas, and i'd look to set up your stand/camera/bait adjacent to the trail, but not too close. may not be the most sporting, but i'd start baiting ~10-20yds off the trail now, and keep it running into/through the season.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Download Google Earth and install it on your computer.

Locate the property on GE and look at the property:
1)with different winds in mind;
2) what is around the properties to make the deer come through or stay away from certain aspects;
3) locate food, bedding, travel areas nearby;
4) likely escape routes;
5) houses/people;
6) use the "ruler" on GE and measure as much as you can.

http://earth.google.com/

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome information everyone....much appreciated as I know there's a lot of preperation going into a successful hunt.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Once you enter the property to look you should know whats up and where to set up. Propertys that small you shouldn't be tramping around.

Once a stand is set you can use as an observation if its on an edge where you can see.

To bait you don't even know where or even if its well traveled that will unfold when you see your deer walking around.

Spots that small will burn out fast so your going to be your own worst problem.

Might take a little while to figure out so don't be in a rush to fast.:p

Get some apples out at your stand can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The stream is an excellent spot to consider. Think about funnels between the 2 fields and the stream. Also, look for acorns. Piece it all together and you have your hunting spot. Most of the fun of hunting comes from trying to out-wit the deer and that is called scouting.

Good luck and hunt safely.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Find a good spot for your Trail Camera, Walk the land many times between mid afternoon just before the sun goes down and see where the big bucks are on property then establish a spot for your stand, or find a spot where the deer like in the field and set up a groundblind

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The places are not in the same spot, same township though. And I don't believe there is a rule around minimum amount of land, so as long as your away from buildings/houses, etc the minimum 450 feet.

I agree with you SlickHunter, since the property is not too big, I don't want to make my presence known all too often (scent, noise, etc.) Especially being seen.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Other than the 450 rule, I'm not aware of any minimum land requirement to hunt. As far as being a small property, take care when going in and out to take measures to avoid dispersing your scent all over like rubber boots and scent killer spray and you'll be fine. I hunt a smaller property myself (20 acres) and especially if it's in a residential area you'd be surprised how tolerant the deer are to some human presence as long as you're not pressuring the hell out of them.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Hopefully there is enough cover that you can walk to the area you plan to hunt without pushing all the deer out. Sounds like the fields that lead to the stream might lead to some woods too. Start at the corners of the fields looking for trails and then find a wide body tree if your using a hangon stand. Next time we have a strong northwest wind go to the property and make sure the wind is right for your treestand placement so your scent doesn't blow into the trail you expect them on. Mostly NW wind november on.. If you want someone to go with you to help pick your spot just ask plenty of volunteers around here. Now is a good time to walk the border so you know where the property ends and check on no tresspassing signs next door etc.

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Go up there and sit & see where the deer are coming out of, then find out why they are going where they are. If you think its a good spot put a stand there, and I would buy a few ground blinds and put them on different parts of the proprety. (as a 2nd option)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.