New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunters fall short of deer-harvest goal
For only the third time in 25 years, New Jersey hunters failed to bag 10,000 deer during the six-day firearms season.

It was the first time since 1980 hunters didn't come up with 10,000-plus deer in consecutive six-day seasons -- this year an estimated 7,982 kill -- following last year's 7,895 total, despite good visibility from the snow cover.

More lower harvests probably should be expected, considering bowhunting starts in September, muzzleloaders and kids kill deer before the six-day opens, tons of does are taken and roadkills are high. Bad weather was blamed for under-10,000 harvests in 2004 and 2001.

Location made a difference more than ever this year. A club in Mays Landing got 34 deer and eight coyotes down in deer-drive country, so they won't gripe, and area hunters who bagged bucks and/or saw deer may not mind the December downturn, but those who found slim pickings have been complaining.

Someone even posted flyers on windows of parked vehicles during the deer season. Outdoors-writer radio-host Tom Paglioroli got his notice while parked for deer hunting near the Water Gap. It read: "Warning! New Jersey's deer herd is disappearing. Insurance companies want deer exterminated. Don't fall for it! Let does and spikes pass. It's up to us."The flyers were signed "Fellow Sportsman."

Two hunters were wounded in drives this year, one in Middlesex County, the other in Cumberland. Drivers shooting at deer hit standers both times. The Bridgeton newspaper said the Cumberland guy was shot in the eye by a rifle and the writer didn't know if the "bullet" exited his head or remained lodged. Another newspaper said he had been hit in the face and ankle by 12-gauge buckshot that wasn't life-threatening.

There are a lot of deer that can't be hunted, like in Millburn, where the net-and-bolt method will be used to remove deer near homes. Many of last year's best racks bagged by hunters will be featured at the annual Deer Classic in the Garden State Outdoors Show opening in Edison on Jan. 12.

Bear facts

Our bear season's 298 harvest was only 30 less animals than in 2003, when 5,243 hunters had applied for permits, about 1,000 more applicants than this year, and our biggest bear weighed an estimated 740-750 pounds in the woods, bigger than Pennsylvania's heaviest. Zone 3 had the highest success rate, where nine percent of bear hunters got one, followed by Zone 1, a 7.9 percent area.

The oldest bear was a 17-year-old sow, four had radio collars, some hunters passed up smaller bears, the sex ratio was 60/40 female, and more bears would have been harvested if anti-hunters, quads and snowmobiles hadn't been in the woods at Wawayanda State Park. The number of demonstrators was about half of what it was in 2003.

This year's home break-ins by bears have reached 29, and attempted bear B&E's reached 23, including one Dec. 2 in Bergen County, where police had trouble chasing away a bear trying to break into a home through a window. The numbers should drop next year.

New state bird?

Hunters are in the crosshairs of the new governor's Natural Resources Transition Team, which has representatives of the Sierra Club and Humane Society, two anti-hunting groups in our state, but no sportsmen's reps. Antis want to control the Fish and Game Council and non-lethal (dream on) wildlife control. I hope he doesn't replace our state bird with the cuckoo.

I hope he doesn't replace our state bird with the cuckoo.
It's going to be an interesting year watching which way things are going to go!!!

The Courier News version:

http://c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051218/SPORTS01/512180379/1011

Hunting and fishing licenses for 2006, as well Spring Fishing Digests, are supposed to be at vendors, so don't get shut out without a fishing tag if you plan to open the new year on ice. Did you hear much about global warming when the temperatures got into the single digits last week?

Pheasant stocking at wildlife management areas will continue on Thursdays and Saturdays for the next two weeks, weather permitting.

They won't be released if there's a really bad storm. Ice was 5 inches thick on the Lake Hopatcong cove at Landing before spring arrived Friday afternoon.

A memorial service for Ernie Schwiebert, whose books on trout are known wherever trout swim, will be held in the spring. Schwiebert, 74, died Dec. 9 at his home in Princeton.

"Trout," his last book, 1,745 pages, weighs what a big stream trout would weigh, 7 pounds.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Warning! New Jersey's deer herd is disappearing. Insurance companies want deer exterminated. Don't fall for it! Let does and spikes pass. It's up to us."The flyers were signed "Fellow Sportsman."
Damn...I wish I would have thought of that. I actually did consider getting signs made up and posting them on state lands.

G

·
Someone even posted flyers on windows of parked vehicles during the deer season. Outdoors-writer radio-host Tom Paglioroli got his notice while parked for deer hunting near the Water Gap. It read: "Warning! New Jersey's deer herd is disappearing. Insurance companies want deer exterminated. Don't fall for it! Let does and spikes pass. It's up to us."The flyers were signed "Fellow Sportsman."
It wasn't me:p, but this person gets the "[up]" from me. The overall harvest for the shotgun season was down agian, 2nd year in a row we failed to hit the 10,000 mark, let this be the wake up call for all you "IT'S BROWN IT'S DOWN GUYS" let the herd grow

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
BHC....They aren't going to listen,the hunters that we need to reach are the "6 day warriors", by Saturday if they don't kill a buck then they start dropping anything they see.(a lot of them probably do it just so they don't have to hear [no swearing please] from their wives about buying a license,taking time off from work and not killing anything)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wish more of us had the "let the does and spikes go" attitude.....The three point one side rule works as I have seen some big bucks in my town working the night shift....A lot of 8's and 10's...

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dec. 19 - Open trap shoot, 6-9 p.m., Falls Township (Pa.) Rifle and Pistol Association. For information, call (609) 586-8162.

Dec. 19 - Mercer County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs, monthly meeting, 7 p.m., at the Sportsmen's Center, Route 130, Bordentown. Interested sportsmen are invited to attend.

Dec. 19 - Bristol (Pa.) Fish and Game Protective Association, monthly meeting, 7 p.m., at the Senior Citizens Center in Bristol. For information, call (215) 943-2384.

Dec. 20 - Central Jersey Anglers, monthly meeting, 7 p.m., at the Sportsmen's Center, Route 130, Bordentown.

Dec. 22 - Metal indoor silhouette shoot, 6 p.m., Falls Township Pistol and Rifle Association.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
The three point one side rule works as I have seen some big bucks in my town working the night shift....A lot of 8's and 10's
We have 14's here. I want to try to find somewhere to bow hunt in town this year.
I think another reason for the low harvest is because of people like me and 35whalen who were trying more to find and harvest a bear than a deer. I still have 2 more months to shoot a deer in my zone. But the other reasons stated at right on also.

It read: "Warning! New Jersey's deer herd is disappearing. Insurance companies want deer exterminated. Don't fall for it! Let does and spikes pass. It's up to us."The flyers were signed "Fellow Sportsman."
I agree, but disagree as well. I think the herd is disappearing in some area, but appearing in others. I honestly don't think the population is on the decline, but displaced. I don't have a problem with shooting does and spikes. But it has to be done responsibly.

G

·
That button buck or spike you let walk today, maybe a nice rack buck next year. You may be right somewhat on saying the herd is displaced. The areas we all hunt has seen a decline, and areas where hunting is either limited or not allowed the herd as grown. Thats why we have a moral obligation to allow the herd to grow in the areas we hunt, we need to conserve the herd just not for us, but for our children so they have a place to hunt and deer to hunt.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
That button buck or spike you let walk today, maybe a nice rack buck next year
Joe you are right. If New Jersey wants to see big bucks I think the 3 point per side rule should be state wide. The first year or two may see a lower buck harvest but year after should be better. As stated in many previous posts the doe take should be zone specific as the deer herd numbers vary greatly. I do believe that the unlimited bag limit should be done away with except in specific cases. New Jersey limits are too liberal.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
damn straight, bhc. LET THOSE DOES, BUTTON BUCKS, AND EVEN A FEW 1 1/2 YEAR OLD BUCKS GO. shooting does to get some meat, im all for it. but its getting out of control

G

·
I love to see deer while hunting, even if I come home empty handed. But if I knew that there are bigger bucks in the area versus seeing less deer, I would opt for the bigger deer, but it starts with allowing the bucks to grow, and a few other things

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i dont want to sound all high and mighty saying dont shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks. but just think if a few guys held back on them, would be a lot better bucks around. it might not make it a trophy hunting state, but you would see alot more bigger bucks..

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Too many immature deer have been shot. How many antlerless button bucks have beeen shot. If you shoot a button buck by mistake then you should forfeit your antlerless privledges for the next year

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If you shoot a button buck by mistake then you should forfeit your antlerless privledges for the next year
I totally disagree with that. If you shoot a button buck you should forfeit a buck stub.

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An antlerless deer is an antlerless deer.... Button bucks count as much as does... It says antlerless not female antlerless....If you try and take away a hunters antlerless tags or buck tags for killing a button buck you will have button bucks being left to waste away in the woods... They will still get shot and now they will be wasted....[down] A certain percentage of Buttons are going to be taken in the antlerless days... Thats always going to happen and F&W I'm sure takes that into consideration...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
so its a bad thing that we did not kill 10;000 bucks that bu%%% %%%% we need to stop the taking of 2 bucks and the 6 day hunt and stop all the blaming of the late doe day lets get real 10;000 buck in 1 week ya that must be a good thing!!!!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
The state has ruined buck week by giving hunters a chance to shoot does and bucks with muzzleloaders.The other reason the buck kill is down to many days for bow hunters so no takes off buck week any more.

·
Registered
876 Posts
F&W has made it abundantly clear that their goal is to reduce the herd in 70% of the deer range. This is in black and white and has been the objective for the last decade. Obviously, the herd is decreasing as was and is intended, what I would like to know is just how low the state wants to see the herd go, they have never mentioned that, all they state is lower.
So does lower mean 20 deer per square mile? 10 deer per square mile? <5 deer per square mile?? I wish they would clarify that...

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
OK we were down again in the 6 day shotgun season. What were the numbers like for the Fall bow season. The ext. bow is still going I believe in some areas so those numbers aren't avail. But how many bucks were killed during the Fall bow and how many people shot 2 bucks before the 6 day.

We are shooting too many bucks. Period. You only need 1 doe to reproduce. But shooting all the bucks out of the herd is worst than having less does. Check the other states out. 1 buck no matter how you take it. They have big bucks in those states. In fact a lot of those states that produce big bucks only allow 1 deer per season.

This sounds like a repeat of about 5 other threads.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I say a (1) buck limit during 6-day. This will allow a hunter to p [no swearing please] on a spike hoping to take a larger deer. With a 2-buck limit a hunter may take a small buck, so that he has one in the bag and then still wait for a bigger deer. Basically it's having your cake and eating it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts