New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out scouting different areas here in Zone 31, and have seen and heard tons of coyote activity lately! I have never killed a coyote here in NJ but I have killed one up in Maine. I feel confident that I will harvest one down here soon because I just bought a rabbit distress call and also a coyote bark call and I think they will do the trick. I have seen plenty of tan coyotes out there, but believe it or not the other day I came across a black one. I have Never seen a black one before has anyone else???

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
never saw a black one yet, only grey and strawberry/blonde.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
with a catch pole, like animal control people use. it will let you control the dogs head. you cut the snare, put on the collar, then let the catch pole loosen, then hope for the best.

·
Registered
773 Posts
We have a ton of different color yotes!
Here is a typical strawberry:

Then you have variations of tan. This was my latest and was actually a "new" color for me to see. More on the gray side I suppose:

Typical tan color:

Then here are the blacks we snared this year.

We are LOUSY with coyotes, so you should have a problem gettong one. Around here the gun clubs have great success when they are driving for deer.
Good luck to ya!!!

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
One was radio collared and turned loose.

How could you turn loose a trapped animal without getting bit.
I was involved with a telementry study of N.J. Coyotes that was conducted by a student in East Stroudsburg University, With the aid of N.J. Fish and Wildlife.
The university purchased 7 collars for the study.
Four trappers were 'hired' to catch Coyotes. I caught all seven with-in the Hope- Frelinghuysen and Knowlton area.
(Plus a 43 lb Bobcat !)
So when I captured a Coyote I would call Fish and Wildlife and they would come and tranquilize the coyote, remove it from the snare, take blood samples, weight, ear tag it and place a collar on it.
I also caught one female twice!!!
She eventually was shot by a goose hunter a year later ...50 miles S.W. of Philidelphia !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts