New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone around here know of good recipe for venison jerky from chopped meat for the oven? i got a jerky gun but all the recipes are for a dehydrator. i don't have one. i'll have to use oven. so i was looking for a chopped meat venison recipe for the oven.

thanks

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Just spray a cookie drying rack with a non stick spray, lay your strips on and leave the oven door ajar at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but won't that make them moist by sitting in oil? do you flip them over too?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have any good recipes for this kind of jerky, jerseyhunter?

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I just go back from my sons wedding so I'll post one tommorrow. I think I have an order for some seasoning on the way. I order so much stuff I 'can't keep track.

Also that cookie drying rack I was talking about looks like a screen not a solid cookie sheet.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Woj- Only you could post this topic!!!:D:D:D

Every question you ask is "Jerky"!!!!!:p:D:D:D

I've got some recipes in one of my books that I will bring to the club on Monday.[up][up][up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
liq-smoke, salt, pepper

soak meat in liq-smoke for 30minutes, pat dry salt & Pepper....Repeat to rest of meat...dry in oven 4 to 6 hrs at 200deg's...leave door open

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I think he means ground meat.

Woj, I made some ground meat jerky with the Eastman seasoning kits that Walmart sells. Use jerky drying racks (screens that stack). With the Eastman kits, it only takes about 2 hours to cure in the oven set at 200 (door open slightly). This was from the jerky gun with the thin strips, not the sticks. Came out pretty good.

-dan

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ground meat. i ran the venison through meat grinder. i have a jerky gun.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the wife bought some seasoning kits from walmart yesterday. one packet does 1 lb. so dan should i just mix it all up and place in oven at 200. that's it? only 2 hours? it says like 8 to 10 hours.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Read the directions in the package. It says 8-10 for cut jerkey, but I thought there were separate directions for the ground meat on the oposite page? Also, mix, let sit over night, then cook. I think there were two packets as well, one for "cure" the other "seasoning"

This is the stuff I used:

Jerky Link

It was enough for 5 lbs, unless you wanted "extra seasoning"

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah there are 2 packets. should i mix pork with the ground venison or just leave the venison as is? i usually always mix pork shoulder with it for the fat. but i don't know if i need to for jerky.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts