New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call it Rocky's Messy BBQ Peppered Jerky! My friends love it and it doesn't last long when I make it.

I start off with a venison ham and separate all of the muscles. I trim all of the silver skin and fat off so there is nothing except lean meat left. Then I freeze it for at least 30 days. (I read that it was recommended somewhere) When I am ready to make it I will semi thaw the meat just enough so my meat slicer will cut it all the same thickness, about 1/4" or a little less.

When I am done I will end up with a few trays of sliced venison ready to be seasoned.

I use the High Mountain Jerky seasoning mix and add some of my own. I change it up all of the time. I figure if you like a seasoning then it is ok to use on your jerky as long as you cure your meat properly.

After 24 hours with the cure it is ready for the dehydrators.

Midway thru the drying time which usually takes 4-5 hours I will baste it.

And when it is done it is finger licking good and messy!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
What do you baste it with?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][up]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i use the High Mountain Inferno blend.
love that stuff.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I got a batch marinating in the fridge now, will be throwing in on the dehydrator tonight after checking traps. I can't wait to dig in! Looks delicious!!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I just made some last week. I use my oven though. After the meat has marinaded for at minimum 24hrs, I drain the liquid completely. Then I stick a toothpick through one end of each piece of meat. Then I line the bottom grate in my oven with tin foil so there's no mess. I then hang each piece from the top grate by the toothpick. I cook it in the oven just below the lowest reading on my oven dial which is 200 degrees. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 190 degrees. I also prop the oven door open about an inch with a wooden spoon. Roughly about 3 hours later you're done. Doesn't last long at my house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts