New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

With the storm cranking up the surf, and no signs of bunker here in JC I had to do some creative thinking if I wanted to get any b [no swearing please] this weekend. I reasoned that I had to find a bayside location in order to avoid the chop out front.

One of my other main concerns was the high water temps. Most of Jerseys areas are still holding in the mid to high 60’s.

Unfortunately many NJ bayside areas that are accessible by foot also lack any real good current/structure that will hold b [no swearing please] in those water temps.

I made the decision to head east and hit an old haunt in Connecticut. My original destination was a well known state park. However, I also decided to do some recon on another near by location I had never fished.

First, I hit an area in Fairfield on the falling tide. Lots of bait and lots of fish. Everyone else was only catching blues. I was fortunate to catch 3 nice b [no swearing please] to 30” on storm shads. Like I said I was the only to get b [no swearing please] out of about 10 guys there. Not exactly sure what they were doing differently but most of them were using tins and poppers. Obviously, I was happy with my choice in using the shads!

After the tide fell and the reef lost its current, we headed back to the state park to try the flume that drains all of the tidal marshes back into the ocean. As soon as I saw how low the tide was I told my buddy we might as well leave. The full moon had the outflow almost empty and the water in front of the beach was only waist high. My friend wanted to stay anyway and give it a try. We only had a half an hour before the park closed and he wanted to give it a shot….It only took me two minutes to wade into the water and realize there was bait, and stripers all over right in front of me. I caught a 28” on top water Gibbs popper and had 4 or 5 more on in the next 20 minutes before we had to leave the park for sundown.

Needless to say things are just getting started….I anticipate getting back there in the next couple of weeks, unless the bunker arrive here sooner...

Jeff

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
JC, there was tons of bait around before the storm rolled in last week. I went out the ninth on a friends boat out of the manasquan. From the mouth of the bayhead/pointpleasant canal down to the mouth of the manasquan inlet the entire river was loaded with peanut bunker. but I went on sat. and there was no lif to be found on the inside...A couple of guys i spoke to sat that made it outside said they were marking bait north and south of the inlet but there were no fish on them. With this west northwest wind things should open up pretty good. The action should and i stress should heat up in the next week or so. This storm really put a damper on things. Though there are a bunch of small b [no swearing please] being caught in the surf on clams. Illbe out wed. or thurs. on my boat in the raritan bay SH area. ill let you know what I see and hopefully catch.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MS22,

That often seems to be the problem this time of year in NJ, lots of bait not too many stripers. Most of what is being caught are all resident bass. Not that small fish aren't fun I just try not to target them when possible.

By the time it opens up down the shore the b [no swearing please] have usually already been here on the bunker for a week or so.(in Jersey City).

Good luck on your next trip, let us know how you do.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recieved a report late last night that in fact the Bunker were in last Tuesday and Friday.

They usually start off spotty then pick up a week or two later. That would mean this is most likely the week it all begins!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts