New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saved the jaw and teeth of the deer i shot last month, i want to get it aged since I have history with him, what place do you guys use and send too, searched alittle for one but couldn’t find
Thanks guys

·
Registered
505 Posts
Deerage .com

However lets see the picture of the jaw, one side is enough and maybe we can give you an idea.
The picture should show this, jaw from the top:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I can age them this way and I do but it is very inaccurate. It is accurate to 2.5 YO because tooth development is used to age them but after 2.5 its not very consistent because is based on tooth wear. I find this to be true: If you use this method and it shows wear indicative of a 3.5 year old then this deer is at least 3.5 since it really takes a while to wear them down. However; I have seen too many jaws with no wear, indicating young deer while Cementum annuli aging and deer size told me the deer was 4.5 or 5.5. Its a tool but to be use in conjunction with other factors, like deer size, weight and appearance to eliminate inconsistency of aging deer by tooth wear only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don`t do it by myself since one previous order failed. I had to prepare one for my client who wanted to decorate the summer house. I treated it as usual, but looks like there was some infection from insight. Even if I counted with the metabolic aging, I couldn`t predict a possible illness. So in two years everything was destroyed. I was so ashamed and offered him the money back. That deer costed me so much...since that moment, I take the material to the Top Thousand Oaks Dental Care | Full-Service Dental | Thousand Oaks lab for professional preparation and conservation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts