New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I utilize my jake decoy tomorrow? I'll definitely be using my two hen decoys. The reason why I am a little cautious regarding the jake is that my 8 year old nephew might be with me. I don't want some idiot blasting away at the first sign of red/blue headed decoy.

Know what I mean? [confused]

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The way I look at it you would have to be a real real idiot to mistake a foam turky for the real thing...in my oppinion most decoys dont look real what so ever..I always use a jake....I set my jake a little closer than my hen decoy..Ive found that a long beard will usally byp [no swearing please] the hen decoy and go straight to the jake to try and run him off...

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last monday I had my hens 20 yards in front of me. I'll take your advice Splim... I'll place the jake between me and the hens.

So:

- 2 hens at 23 yards
- 1 jake at 20 yards in between me and the hens

Thanks!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've actually had better success putting my hen dekes about 30 to 35 yards behind me without a jake decoy. If the tom holds up at 60 are 70 yards from the hens (which is common) he's still in range... that is ofcourse if I set up right and he comes straight in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts