New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got home Sunday afternoon from trout fishing this weekend, I found a letter from the DEP - Fish & Wildlife.

I figured it might be a survey form or something like that.

To my surprise and delight, enclosed was my NJ Crossbow Permit!!! (I remember how some of you on this site doubted that the state "actually" issued the Disabled Hunter Crossbow Permits, and I was beginning to wonder myself, since it had been a while since I sent in the application.) :) [up]

My application, along with my Doctor's, Surgeon's, and Occupational Therapist's certifications, copy of the Rx from my Doctor ordering the administering of the required tests, and the required tests results were accepted and approved by the state.

Note to all who saw my other post on this subject and had questions - Along with the permit, it explains that you still are required to have a Bow License, and any Extended Season Bow Permits (if you want them), in addition to the Crossbow Permit - It's similar to that of having the Rifle Permit in addition to a Muzzleloader Permit and Hunting licence.

I am living proof that you can get a NJ Crossbow Permit, ONLY if you follow the instructions exactly as they are printed on the NJF&G form, and send in all of the required documents/Doctor certifications, RX from your Doctor ordering the range of motion/loss of use tests, and the required test results !!!! :) [up]

Now to figure out where to buy a decent crossbow (since Cabela's doesn't ship to NJ, and I think the store is a zoo!!!) and learn how to shoot it!!! [confused]

I hear that the Excaliber, Fred Bear, Ten Point and Horton Crossbows are excellent and the hand crank (extra add on) can be attached easily for disabled hunter's.

Does anyone have any experience shooting crossbows, and do you have any recommendations for purchasing a fast shooting crossbow?[confused]

Also, any tips on crossbow choices and shooting would be gratly appreciated!!!!

JT

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Congrats on the permit JT!! The only experience I have with x-bows is when I picked one up at Cabelas in PA and almost fell over from sticker shock...

Good luck.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Hey jt post on the Bowsite and ask, I know I guy that goes by Droptine uses one also,he could probably help you out

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I recommend Simon-Peter for all your crossbow needs.

NJ has sensible crossbow regulations and people with a true disability can get a crossbow permit. There is no abuse of this program. NY should be so sensible.

Congrats and good luck!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
ill hook up up down at targeteers jon.we dont move many xbows...im sure i can get you a deal, just let me talk to Rob. if /when you buy a bow there ill sight you in before you leave the store. (if you shoot a bow like you shoot a gun , this can take a while:p) plus..you get a free HOUR of shooting! and half price in the range for a year!...not like you need it being your in the club and can shoot there anyway..but at least you wont lose all your arrows in the range like at the club;) im still on the lookout for those telephone poles you shoot off your compound. i guess this means you dont want me to help you set up your bow this summer.. its okay tho..ill get your xbow shooting 100 yards for you, i know all the tricks to do so.[up]
well.... congrats on your disability! i couldnt be happier for you:D

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Congratulations on getting you NJ permit. I've had a Pa. permit for several years and have taken many deer with the crossbow there. I have used HORTON X -bows exclusively with great success. They really stand behind their products.
Don't be deceived by the notion that X-Bows shoot like a rifle. Out to 30 yds. they will stay with a compound, but after that they shed their velocity and energy faster. Simple math, the arrows are lighter and shorter. If you want more info, we can exchange E-Mail addresses and discuss them.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the congrats and info.

Outlaw - I'll be talking to you this weekend, and may even stop at Targeteers one Thursday night before going to the club.

Nightstalker911 - I'll be taking to ya' shortly once I muster up some cash to purchase the crossbow. Horton brand - What model/series would you recommend? (You can e-mail me at my address listed on this site)

Bloodtrail - Thanks for the congrats....I thought that this year/next year would probably be my last year bow hunting as my disability has really worsened, and the Worker's Comp. Insurance company is really jerking me around as far as additional treatments of my hand, arm, and shoulder conditions.

NJF&G has given me the chance to continue on and enjoy the sport for a few more years!!!! I thank them with all of my heart, and will be writing a letter to them this week to express my thanks for them approving my permit.

After my surgeries (five total to date since 1997), I've had to re-learn how to shoot the shotgun and bow to compensate for my injuries and post operatiove problems, and even fishing has become difficult, but it's what I love, and I always said that if I can't hunt, fish, and F _ _ k (not necessarily in that order!!! ;) ), then I really wouldn't have much to look forward to in life...That's how much it means to me!!!! :) I'd be at a loss and wouldn't know what to do woth myself if I didn't have these three passions in life to spend most of my time enjoying.

As it is, I had to give up bowling, tennis, and baseball/softball because of all of the surgeries.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hunter------OUCH!!! That was COLD, man!!!...I feel the pain on that one!!!

I'll bet I do know you and when I figure out who ya' are, you'll have hell to pay!!!!;)

FYI - I got my few with the bow for the freezer - ON MY OWN, TOO !!!!! How many did you get?!?!!??!!?!?

WOJ ------ Yes, I was the only shaved head, tattooed, ripped jean and guinea tee wearing "tennis player" on the tennis court in the company tennis league for three years!!!!

I won my matches through visual intimidation !!!!

...and, I was President of the company bowling league for 3 years!!!

I've frequently been said to greatly resemble the wrestler Goldberg !!!! I have a pic of him with a pic of me, side by side, and there truly is a great resemblance, BUT, I'm MORE HANDSOME!!!! LMAO

DRAG ----Here's the deal:

I suffer from bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Thoracic Outlet Sydnrome since 1997, and most recently Tenosynovitis of the right hand ring finger.

All is work related and I am still undergoing therapy for the last surgery performed in Oct. 2004 for the finger. I don't think I'll ever get out of occupational therapy!!!!

I have had two wrist sugeries for the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, two surgeries to remove my first cervical ribs to release pressure on my nerves and blood vessels in my chest that lead into the shoulders and arms, and a Tenosyovectomy to release/relieve the Trigger Finger/tenosynovitis in the finger.

I experience pain, swelling and loss of function of both hands and arms on a daily basis, especially depending upon what activities I am performing during work and at home.

I cannot perform any over head work or elevate my arms near or over 90 degrees (abducted) for more than a minute or less (when my elbows are placed at my sides), otherwise my arms go numb, start tingling, start swelling, and I temporarily lose function of both my hands, arms, and shoulders. Dexterity and range of motion have been greatly limited and degrade considerably each year.

The last time I was in WOrker's Comp. Court. they awarded 12.5% Disability in both hands, but even the judge said that he expected to see me back in a few years - my guesstimate now is that I'm about 50% - 65% disabled or better, bi-lateral, but the lawyers and insurance company have some pretty screwed up means of determining percentages of disability!!!

The past few years things have been getting worse, and I wounded a few deer at 30 yards or less (which have always been easy kill shots) due to the weakness and limited range of motion in my hands, arms, and shoulders. (Even tying a fishing lure or hook on my line is an extremely difficult task, but if you are determined and have the passion that I have for hunting and fishing you WILL figure out a way to "git-r-done"!!!!

Had the state not authorized the crossbow permit, I probably would have tried to hunt the 2005 Fall and Permit Bow seasons, only, and would have turned in my bow at the end of the season. (I hated wounding three deer this past season that should have ended up in the freezer and on the dinner plate, and if I wounded any more dear, that was it - I would have stopped out of respect for the deer and for personal moral and integrity issues.)

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Damn outlaw...It sure must suck getting old :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts