New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/11013835.htm?1c

So.. since the court disregarded NJ's constitution... doesn't the constitution need to change? Don't we get to vote on that?

Legislating from the bench is crap.

State high court gives environmental chief control over bear hunt

BONNIE PFISTER, Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. - The state's environmental chief has final say over whether a bear hunt can take place in New Jersey, not the council that planned the hunt, the state's highest court ruled Monday.

The decision by the state Supreme Court gave Environmental Commissioner Bradley Campbell his second victory in the most recent spat over bear hunting in the Garden State.

Bradley successfully opposed a hunt late last year after the Fish and Game Council had approved one. He was bolstered by a high court decision that said the state needed to adopt a comprehensive bear management policy before a hunt could take place.

But the court in its December ruling that nixed the hunt set aside the issue of whether Campbell could refuse to issue hunting permits after the council had approved a hunt.

The hunt would have been the state's second in 34 years. Proponents argued the hunt was needed to thin the bear population because of the increasing contact between bears and humans, mostly in the northern areas of the state.

The court's 7-0 decision issued Monday reversed a lower court ruling that said the volunteer council could decide who may hunt New Jersey's black bears.

State statutes on the environment intend "to create a unified approach to conservation and environmental protection under the authority of the Commissioner," the decision said.

The council's action "exists within a larger universe of comprehensive environmental policies. If the Council does not act in accord with those policies, the Commissioner is empowered to intervene," the judges ruled.

In 2003, hunters killed 328 animals over a six-day period.

Campbell has said a bear contraception program could better manage the population, and that people who reside in areas where bears live need better safety education.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My safety education: If a bear attempts to enter my house he's getting a chest full of lead.

Note: I guess I better utilize my shotgun instead of my 35 cal. rifle. :p

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hesitant to post this article on the hunting web site... too political... I guess. However, the comish's ability to veto the F&G council irks me.

I am sure its no surprise that I dislike 98% of all Republican (candidates) and Democrat (candidates). If you disagree with me... that's okay... I love the outdoors... God, family, working, and hunting/fishing buddies is more important to me than politics.

Welcome to the People's Republic of New Jersey...

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0305/0305acresbears.txt

·
3,413 Posts
Your right.

But we had a good idea that the liberal Supreme Court would go that way.

As it stands now, Campbell is trying to mend fences with the F&G Council. They have reworked the BBMP and are supposedly getting ready to submit it.

Campbell is looking to take Corzine's seat in Congress, so now he has to make nice, but he has to make nice on all sides!

·
11,226 Posts
I had bears in my yard 8 different times that I know of last year. Who knows how many times they were there when I wasn't. 7 of the times it was in late morning to mid afternoon. Times when my kids could have been in the yard! They have no fear of humans! Birth control will NOT make them fear humans!! The only reason animals are here is to make more animals! If you give them birth control what is thier purpose? To look cute for the anti's and thier camera's? Thier purpose wont be to mate and p [no swearing please] on genes to the next generation helping to keep the species strong! They'll be fixed and have no purpose! Have a controlled hunt each year and let this natural resource be harvested and at the same time put the fear of man back into the beast! Man! This state just pisses me off!!!!!!! Do to me what you will but if a bear comes into my yard while the kids are out there it is DEAD! There is nothing this state can do to me that would be worse then losing a child!

·
3,413 Posts
Here's a true story for you. It happened quite a few years a go.

My best friend and hunting buddy's, who has moved to Tennessee, father was a Hamilton Twp Police Officer.

On day a call came into the station, a bear was sighted in Hamilton! It was in a front yard and there was a group of boys camping out in the back yard in little tents. These boys had food with them, snacks and the such. The caller was frantic because the children were in danger.

My buddies father arrived on the scene and shot & killed the bear. To the parents of the children he was a hero, to the AR's he was a criminal. They had demonstrations against this man and demanded that he be fired, all for PROTECTING some children.

They (ARs) will not be happy until we can no longer hunt. Everything that they do is a step towards that goal.

Fight the fight, and never give up. Both bills that would return the control to the F&G Council have picked up much needed Democratic sponsors, and A3736 looks as if it could be winable. We have to fight the fight, not sit by the sidelines and hope that someone does it for us.

This should be a wake up call to ALL HUNTERS, get active, register to vote, make your voice heard!!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I made a comment on the huntingnet.com site about the importants of this. Check out nj sunday bowhunting post. It to me was more inportant to keep politics out of hunting then to gain a day! In 8 years when my youngest is 18 I'm gone. With or with the old lady. I think she's coming with me.LOL This state is a money BS state. History is a good indicator of the future. A the history here is money and dictatorship. Travel around to other states surf the web and see for yourself. All that is here is pollution, progressive building, rules and rulers. Look back 25 years. then compare that with the future. To this day the change from leg hold traps to snares cracks me up. In states where you can trap bear and all other furbearer they won't allow snares , but some A$$hole who know jack about game/wildlife changed the laws to snares as it's more humane. I have a book titled "the hunter as a conservationist" best damn book ever writing on the subject of hunters and wildlife. It's simple in context and shows how the states use our money to buy and maintain our resources. We are total self sufficent. I do not care what the politicans say. The want to get there hands on that money. 170,000x$30+ minimum. You do the math. There are 117 WMA in New Jersey. Thats $30,000 per WMA do they spent that much. NO!!! Do you know the critria of how they buy the land. I do and the buy it cheap. i have a farmer freind who sold them land. Sell land and still gets to farm it with no taxes, no lease, no loss, and no worries. Not bad. It's not about wildlife it is about MONEY!!! Example: Myself per year.
All-Around sportsmen $72.50
Deer permits (2) @ $28.00 = $56.00
Turkey Permits (2) @ $21.00 = $63.00
Trapping $32.50
Pheasants $40.00
Waterfowl Stamps State $5 + Fed $15 = $20.00
Trout Stamp $10.50
I buy Trapping in PA & ME every year.
Non- Resident Maine non-resident trapping is over $300 ( but they have some neat critters ) cheaper then a trip to mexico and the money goes to wildlife at least part.

That is why, I start WILD WORKS LLC. I can write all my purchases, liscense, clothes, dog food, shot gun shells, duck calls, deer stands, cameras, film, paper, hell even this computer. Off my taxes!!! This is what the politicans do. And they are no better then me. I feel they are worst. They sell there souls for the dollar. I wonder if they look in the mirror if they feel like a cowardless, morralless, humanbeing. I bet you there family hunted, trapped, fished, or farm raised and killed animals. They had to or they would have starved. Supermarkets haven't been around forever. And being a vegatarian was cool or in till the hippie generation 35 years ago. I will personally drive to all the hunter/sportsman I can and get them to sign a ballot. This $hit of telling or informing is good, but not working. Action is needed. Thomas Jefferson after the Revolutional War "this government will have to be over thrown or it will try to rule it's citizen." I think he was right.

Till our trails cross,

Ryan Cooper aka "WW"

B

·
0 Posts
Hmmmmmm!!!!! wonder if we will even have a hunting season this year or in the years to come?

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Sunday bowhunting means nothing when you have an anti-hunter in charge of all hunting, which is what the Court has given us. Sunday bowhunting will be a hollow victory, if it passes as long as Campbell is at the DEP, or another anti-hunter Comm. I'm sure it was a no-brainer for Campbell to support Sunday Hunting, knowing that he can cancel any hunting, any time he wants. He really didn't support anything that he can't cancel later anyway, yet he made an attempt to act like a friend to sportsmen by sending a letter of support. It's a sham, he is a fraud, and not to be trusted.

Organized sportsmen should be pushing to have a Bill passed giving the Council the final say in hunting seasons, not some political appointee, and they should be putting pressure on to have Campbell removed. Those would be real victories, Sunday hunting is just a diversion. It's time for the Legislature to remind the Court who makes law in NJ and get a Bill going re-affirming the right of the Council to establish seasons, not the Court or some political lackey who knows nothing about wildlife. That is what the NJ Outdoor Congress should be burning political capital on.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I feel liking puking. It isn't enough that they tax us to death, but now some panty waist panel has the final say so on decisions that should be based on scientific facts and biological data not political points of conjecture. I can't wait to leave the "People's Republic of NJ".
Jim B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts