1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Today we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think that people are offended by the term Christ. I think it's just another lazy American way of taking a short cut for their fat fingers. I must of ate 5,000+ calories of food on the Eve and probably another 5,000+ delicious calories of food today on Christmas Day, so I might have start taking the lazy text way of saying.... Merry Xmas to all! God bless

·
Registered
431 Posts
....For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 KJV

Merry CHRISTmas everyone!

Reactions: teddrick and BrianJ

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't think that people are offended by the term Christ. I think it's just another lazy American way of taking a short cut for their fat fingers. I must of ate 5,000+ calories of food on the Eve and probably another 5,000+ delicious calories of food today on Christmas Day, so I might have start taking the lazy text way of saying.... Merry Xmas to all! God bless
....thank Him for not taking the easy way with us; that He loved us so much that He took the hard way and went to the cross for our sins so that we can someday live with Him in Heaven! :smile:

....unfortunately WE are ALL guilty of this!...present company included!

·
Registered
330 Posts
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.........Merry Christmas to all and Good hunting this coming year :)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The true meaning of Christmas should be emphasized more often. To many people think it is just a time to buy presents for each other.

I also believe we should not forget the phrases "One nation under God" and "In God we trust". Those are just a few of the reasons why we live in the greatest country on planet earth.

Merry Christmas and god bless you and your families

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I tend not to use Xmas only because, yeah, it does seem to be used by many that want to wipe "Christ" from the holiday. Christmas is, after all, a celebration of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

However, I would like to explain where the "X" abbreviation probably originated from. The common Greek language used in the 1st century and which is the language that the New Testament books were originally written in is called Koine Greek (just a form of the Greek language). The Jewish title "Messiah" is translated "Christos" in Greek (this is where we get the title "Christ" from - as in Jesus was the Messiah, or "Jesus Christ" for short - no "Christ" isn't his last name, its a title :)). "Christos" written in Greek letters is "Χριστος" - so the X is the first letter of Christ in the Greek language. X or XP (where P is uppercase form of the second letter in Χριστος) has been used for centuries to abbreviate the name Χριστος or Christ. So technically, when you see Xmas, it really does (or should) refer to "Christ"mas since "X" is merely a shorthand abbreviation for the title "Christ."

Thus ends today's lesson. That is all. Merry Christmas :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have to humbly disagree! The real reason for the season? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ How long since Black Friday and before did any of us hear Jesus Christ's name mentioned. All the talking heads on the tube talked about was consumer spending and whining Merchants. Then we have Peace on earth blah blah blah..........Try doing it 365 days a year instead of 1 to clear our conscience, now give me those [email protected]#$%^& Nikes before I punch your lights out!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Given the fact that the term Xmas has been used since the mid-16th century, it's not another "lazy American" shortcut. Google the term and learn of the actual meaning and origin and you will find that it has its own history. i personally couldn't care less if someone uses Christmas or Xmas in their greetings, etc -- to each his own.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.