New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday afternoon i went ML hunting. just before dark this small buck steps out and i take a 90 - 100 yard shot. i climb down out of the tree and go to where the buck was standing. he ran down into this steep rivene and out the other side. i make a long loop around and pick up the blood from the other side of the stream. there was a lot of blood so tracking was easy. after 50 yards i find the deer piled up. NO ANTLERS!

to make a long story short, i went back today and back tracked from where i gutted the deer to where it jump down the rivene. no antlers! i climb up the rivene, which was pretty scary because it was pretty steep. i get to the top and i find both sides of the rack, apparently stripped off by a barb wire fence:

this little guy is already at the butcher!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks bhc,

zone 2. it broke the ice for me this year. ya ever have one of those seasons where nothing cooperates? that's me this year. i set out yesterday to shoot a doe for the freezer. around 3:00pm around 8 or 9 does where feeding in the cedars around 90 yards away. they were feeding towards me so i was holding out for a closer shot. they should have come within 20 yards of me. 10 minutes later these 3 little peanut does come by around 30 yards away. they were so small i held off. there were bigger ones in the bushes heading my way. at 3:30 one of the doe's snorted and they all took off[mad] they were still around 80 yards away and i know they never saw me. most likely they winded me. i was so ticked off i almost climbed down and went home. almost exactly an hour later this little buck pops out......

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I agree that this year was one of those years for our area! We shot 9 bucks during shotgun week but 4 went to 2 guys and we have 13 in the club. Just a weird season as I saw a lot of small does and buttons but no nice bucks in our area. Oh well......

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NJ_Deer's (Max's) dad and another member hunted with me yesterday. Max's dad shot a button buck and the other guy held off on shooting a doe that was near him.

we'll be back up there next week to thin out those does, um, to TRY and thin out those does.:p

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I've shot a couple monster bucks after they've dropped their Racks. Seems like it bothers some more than others. Whether it came with head gear or not didn't bother me. I don't see the differance, a dead deer is a dead deer. Why do some people care about what other people will be eating. Especially if they're not even hunting the same property.?:(

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Hey Frankie..Very Nice!! I know there is still a whole bunch more deer up there waiting for you guys...Good Luck next time out

max

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Congrats on the Buck by the way[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
i'm hunting in wantage off of rte 565.
My Siter-in-law lives on that road just before Mudtown. She has a large stonewall in front of her house. I have seen some very nice bucks in her yard!
The guy that owns the TrueValue Store owns the 40 acre piece across the street.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
ya ever have one of those seasons where nothing cooperates?
Yup! I'm in the middle of one now! Congrats on yours SxS![up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
ya ever have one of those seasons where nothing cooperates? that's me this year.
Yes, that has been this year for me. Nice story. 2 years ago my dad shot his first deer. It was a 6 pointer when it passed me. However, when we recoved it it was only a 3 pointer. He shot it with buckshot and the shot took the one antler off.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
will at least you found them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts